The 2019 Oscars Nominations

The nominations for the 2019 Academy Awards were announced. You can read the nominations here: Oscar Nominations 2019: Full List

I’m thrilled Black Panther is nominated for Best Picture as well as BlacKkKlansman, A Star Is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody. There’s an 50% chance that the winner will be a film I saw in theatres last year.

I’m surprised Would You Be My Neighbor wasn’t nominated for Best Documentary Feature. Also disappointed that A Quiet Place wasn’t nominated for Best Picture.

The only one I missed was The Favourite, which has not yet turned up in the suburbs. Maybe it will now.
Many good nomnations - if I were to choose Best PIcture on my enjoyment alone… Green Book. Loved every minute. Runner up (for me) Bohemian Rhapsody.

I am puzzled why critics loved Roma so much- I did not. And while I like Black Panther, super hero flicks are not my favorite genre.

Detainment has made the list for best live action short file and deals with the 1993 murder of toddler James Bulger by two boys.

This case had a huge impact on the psyche of the United Kingdom and there is a huge swell of opposition to this movie not just being shortlisted but to actually airing it.

What I find reprehensible is that at no time did the director of this movie contact the parents of Jamie Bulger to tell them he was making this short film. Censoring this movie does not sit well with me but the director should have given the parents the courtesy of making them aware.

I have no desire to go into the details of this case but a google search will give you all the information you need. Trust me its sickening.

The Oscars have come in for so much criticism over previous years I think there is a possibility they will pull this from the list but if they dont I have to wonder if the outcry in the UK will be so loud that it could make advertisers think twice about supporting the airing of the Oscars in the UK.

I liked Black Panther a lot, and I am happy that it was nominated for best picture. It was an amazing phenomenon, and the highest-grossing movie of the year. But if you ask me, Avengers Infinity War was better, and more deserving.

Haven’t seen many of the other nominees yet, but I could have even seen a scenario where both were nominated, but with just one it should have been Avengers.

I’m not a big fan of the awards shows. I won’t watch. I prefer my entertainment and politics to be separate. My wife and daughter saw Black Panther, I missed it but heard it was excellent. I really, really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody. Very compelling story. The dynamics between the band, the managers, the producers, the clingers on and all that was fascinating. As well as the development of the songs. Just an incredibly talented band. They didn’t spend too much time lingering on Freddie’s illness. That would have made it a downer. Loved it.

1 Like

If you have access to one of the classic TV channels or recall TV from some decades ago, there was an episode of “Cheers” where one of the characters gets on Jeopardy! - the final answer is three names, and the character’s question is “Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen?”

Lately it seems, my reaction to the names of the Oscar nominated films is “What are 8 films I haven’t seen?” (including one I’d never heard of and one I’d only heard of last week.) I did read in several places that the favored actresses are Glenn Close and Melissa McCarthy, but not sure what films they were in and that Bradley Cooper should have gotten nominated for something he didn’t get nominated for. And I’m sure as heck not sitting up for hours to watch the awards show.

Complete joke that Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated for best picture. I saw both and while they were enjoyable neither was a great movie.

Take away the novelty of the black cast and Black Panther is just a run of the mill, by the number superhero flick. It might be worthy of noms for technical awards but not best pic. Virtue signalling award at its finest.

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, everyone loves Queen’s music so we all enjoyed the movie for that sake. And no doubt Rami Malek did a great job and his actor nomination is well deserved. But once you get past the love of the music and Malek’s performance your left with a choppy, rushed film full of fake drama and cheesy writing.

Addendum: Last night we streamed “A Star is Born.” Gosh, it was awful. I was stunned. DH is saying “Is this movie really long or does it just feel long?” and both of us kept thanking our lucky stars we didn’t pay to see it in the theatre. The two best elements were Bradley Cooper’s performance (he was excellent) and Sam Elliott’s performance. Maybe the Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson remake wasn’t that bad after all…

We streamed it last night and I have to agree, it is a terrible movie. I felt no connection to either character and felt zero emotion at the end.

Cliff. It was Cliff of course.