Texas school district says 4 year old must cut hair or wear dress

Cultural standards.

Different parts of the country have differing standards.

Screw the “cultural standards” of Texas. A kid’s hair length should be the last thing a school is worried about.

1 Like

If his parents want him to look like a girl, he should be allowed to look like a girl.

At least they didn’t tell him to dress up like Betsy Ross

I don’t know of any federal civil rights statute that prevents separate dress codes by gender. There may be some states that have such codes, but Texas isn’t one of them.

Basically, discussion about what one does or doesn’t think is an appropriate dress code makes sense but that is just local standards.

What my kids elementary school says about hair:

“Unusual hair styles, hair color, make up, or jewelry that might interfere with learning is discouraged.”

Vague as heck. And “discouraged” isn’t exactly the same as “prohibited”.

I’m cool with dress-codes but what is up with the if you have long hair you need to wear a dress that is over the top sexist, and a little homophobic.

1 Like

The only federal rule on dress code is they can’t be discriminatory based on sex, race, religion.

so for example you can’t refuse to let a boy wear a dress because he is a boy.
you need to find another reason.

Can you cite that Federal law, rule or regulation? We’re not talking Canada here.

Title 3 of the civil right act there has been a number of cases,

woman fired for wearing a Hijab (She sued and won)

now hair is a messy subject, currently before the Suprme is a case about a woman who wasn’t hired because she had dreadlock.

There is also a case about a woman who was fired for being transgender and refusing to wear gendered clothing.

Title 3 prohibit discrimination based on Sex, Race, Religion
American disability act prohibit discrimination based on a registered disability.

those are the only federal laws that apply but its a case by case application.

Well, I have to admit you did well to go to the right place.
I have my doubts, though, that you will find a case where it says you can’t have gender specific clothes, such as no dresses for boys but allowed for girls.

There is the active “shoot rubber bands at kids” kind of distracting. And then there’s the passive “look more interesting than the teacher’s lesson” kind of distracting.

Schools seem to be too interested in the second kind. Particularly in regards to female students and students with a different hair type than the school board.

Perhaps U.S. Supreme Court case Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent School District

… schools may limit student expression (such as dress codes) if such expression will be disruptive to the learning environment or violate the rights of others.