Texas Property Taxes

I’m always ready to be someone’s friend. And don’t be down on the sadman, he must be having problems these days.

1 Like

Six percent sales tax at the state level and many counties have a one cent sales tax. There is also a corporate tax. Fuel taxes, tobacco and alcohol taxes, any kind of real property exchange and more. Just because they don’t send you a bill doesn’t mean you aren’t paying it LOL.

I am well aware of EVERYTHING you mentioned. I am well aware of the many ways States collect revenues. Still, overall, Florida is significantly a lower tax State than other States.

If you don’t drive it, you only have to pay the sales taxes once to buy it. Otherwise, you have to register it and insure it, every year.

M

You know who’s not having problems these days? People named Trump.

No one knows what it’s like to be the sad man behind blue eyes.

I was really surprised when I had read this, $12,000 per year in TX on a $300,000 house. That is NJ level taxes. But with the high levels of immigration I guess it should be expected:

Not enough, but I’ll take it.

All well and good, but they’ll have to make up for it somewhere.

Uh… no.

Uh…yeah.
Raising some things, and/or cutting other things. That’s how math works.

Surplus

Right now, they are experiencing record surplus revenue conditions.

Should that change down the road and should new revenue be needed, pretty much their only option would be to bump up the sales tax rate. Texas does not have individual or corporate income taxes.

Thank you for your concern.

Not expressing concern, rather enunciating Texas’s only likely policy choice in the described situation.

:smile:

Thank you.

I’m in almost the same situation as you. Also in NJ. Our property value also spiked. The thing is, we can’t downsize. My house is around 1500 SQ feet.

I don’t see the point in staying in NJ after retirement. The high property tax simply isn’t worth staying.

Greater than a 4x difference in New Jersey from North Carolina. I am paying slightly under $5,000 here, but would likely pay nearly $20,000 for similar property in New Jersey.

1 Like

I know it. NC has always been a strong consideration. There is absolutely no reason to be paying 10k plus for property taxes here in NJ in retirement. And I believe NC has some higher elevated areas. I don’t like it when it gets too hot. NC would be the furthest south I’d go.

I am in in the northwest corner of Surry County, not far south of the Virginia State line. My house is near 3,000 feet near the top of the mountain ridge. Mount Airy is on the western edge of the Piedmont at about 1,200 to 1,400 feet, so roughly an average 1,700 difference.

It is a difference that makes quite a big difference, sometimes to the tune of 10 degrees in temperature and considerably lower dew point. On the downside, do tend to get socked in some very thick fogs from time to time.

You might also want to consider far southwestern Virginia as well. Similar climate. Similar property taxes, though Virginia’s total tax burden is a bit higher than North Carolina’s.

My sister has a house on the Virginia side, not very far from me.