Texas Property Taxes

Who would have known that? Thanks!

Most welcome. I read the other day that 85% of people don’t need to itemize anymore. Simplicity!

Can’t wait to see what comes next!

On state or federal? I recently learned they are different - much like property taxes and state income taxes are different.

Who would have known taxes could be so complicated?

Centgov. I don’t have state. They take what they want for property, hence the problem.

Then don’t drive on highways, home school kids, and Disband the military. Should be a small price to pay so that you don’t feel like you have been robbed.

Cons complaining about having to pay taxes. Why am I not surprised?

1 Like

If you’re not collecting state income taxes then there is no money there. That’s kinda the very definition of a “shortfall”. And they have to make up for it somewhere.

Feel free to live somewhere where there is nothing available paid for by taxes…school, police, roads, fire services, defense from foreign invaders, electricity, water, health and safety laws/inspections, etc.

You’re definitely renting your property from the government once you pay off the bank. No contract necessary, either pay or be forcibly removed.

1 Like

There is no shortfall.

I would note that Florida has no state income tax, yet property taxes are substantially lower. Florida is generally a low tax State all around, yet manages to provide sufficient services and maintains its infrastructure.

States differ substantially on what is provided from the State level and what is provided from the local level. A substantial examination of Texas’s total State & local revenues by type would be needed to see what “potential” revenue sources (other than personal income) are not being exploited, that would lead to property taxes being as high as they are. I would not be able to give a meaningful answer in the absence of such information.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::+1: we are the foreign invaders. Who do you think is going to invade the US?

Far, far too many cops in this country.

1 Like

Ouch. In Surry County, North Carolina, if I end up with a $400,000 assessment on my property, (I am expecting closer to $350,000), I would be paying $3,000 on non-homestead. I guess Texan’s are getting rooked. :smile:

Last December, when I went deer hunting in NC, I almost felt guilty for it being so easy out there. :smile: The wet snowy weather did help me out. I took two deer in two days with almost no effort in the hunt. (Donated both deer for the homeless.) Lots of ideal deer area up there, with a low population and relatively few public hunting areas in my immediate area.

The problem is the keep raising it. At both ends.

Texas is hardly the vacation mecca that Florida is
Florida makes their money on vacation related / Gas taxes.

1 Like

Like NJ Texas has had a very heavy increase in immigration over the past decade or so and a lot of illegal immigration. Many of these immigrants are not in the best paying jobs but typically have multiple children. Education is a huge expense and it’s property taxes that cover it. Personally I was surprised by how high Texas property taxes are.

Then if you could tell where that money comes from I’m all ears.

Doesn’t Florida charge fees, like, on EVERYTHING, though?

I had this discussion with people when they wanted to remove the income tax in Michigan. The states that don’t have income taxes replace them with other taxes or their situation is special.

• Wyoming - Where the Rich Vacation/No one lives there
  • Washington - High Sales Taxes
  • Texas - High Property Taxes
  • South Dakota - Banking Capitol of USA
  • Nevada - Las Vegas
  • Florida - DisneyWorld
  • Alaska - Oil

In the end, the governor would not sign the legislation. This is because when he asked what programs would be cut or taxes raised to fund the revenue decrease, the Republican leader in our House shrugged and said, “We’ll figure that out later”