Texas man gets probation after using ‘gay panic’ defense to explain killing his neighbor

"While a handful of states have outlawed the defense tactic and the American Bar Association has called on states to ban it, in Texas it is still legal to get away with murder by saying a gay man’s advances can justify killing him.

The judge was required under state law to honor the jury’s recommendation but also added on six months of jail time, 100 hours of community service, and restitution of $11,000 to the victim’s family. Miller will also have use a portable alcohol monitoring device for at least a year."

What is wrong with people? You have to kill somebody over that? You ruin somebody’s family over that?

The murderer is an ex cop.

1 Like

I guess straight snowflakes in Texas shouldn’t be messed with.

Surprised the dude got any punishment.

Negligent homicide? I thought that was for acting criminally irresponsible, like playing with a loaded handgun. Not literally intentionally stabbing someone twice.

1 Like

Sorry,

You’re going to have to cough up the Texas statute that specifically allows this. Your link makes this assertion too with no corroboration.

1 Like

The defendant claimed “self defense”, “gay panic” is hyperbole designed to cater to the LGBTQ people and further their political agenda. and look, CaughtInTheMiddle swallowed it , hook,line & sinker.

1 Like

The defense is not banned in a “handful of states”. It cannot be used in 2 - California and Illinois.

There is more to this story than what is being reported by the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Nation.

Interesting a knife was used, he must have thrown it.

if a woman kills a man who is sexually assaulting her, is that different?

Yes. The bigoted murderer in the story wasn’t assaulted

There is no way you could possibly know that.

unwanted sexual advances…libs have been calling that “assault” since at least 8 November, 2016.

Have you forgotten?

"We don’t know exactly what did happen in that house that night,” Prosecutor Matthew Foye told KXAN-TV after the verdict was handed down. “So that can be something that can be very difficult for juries to work through.”

Sure there is. I read the linked article

If the bigot had been assaulted it would be a part of the defense and mentioned in the article but it wasn’t. The bigot murdered his neighbor over what he perceived to be a pass not an assault

https://www.statesman.com/news/breaking-news/today-miller-sentenced-for-2015-slaying-austin-musician/PvbX7ZypnnHwKkWlxNUtgL/

Might want to read the article.

The prosecutor doesn’t know, but you do?

Could you highlight the passage where it says he was actually assaulted. All I saw was that Spencer moved towards him in what he describes as a threatening manner but that he was ever actually physically attacked

Interesting that the OP cites an article from a homosex advocacy media site. Maybe if such thread OPs cited more balanced information, we would have better understanding.

'Miller testified that Spencer became angry when Miller rejected his sexual advances and moved forward in an aggressive motion while brandishing a drinking glass. Miller, at 5 feet, 4 inches, was at least eight inches shorter than the 32-year-old Spencer.

‘He had height advantage over me, arm length over me, youth over me,’ Miller said. ‘I felt he was going to hurt me.’ "

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/crime--law/jam-session-with-austin-musicians-leads-fatal-stabbing-conviction/bNQNkfEXXHG9nRsYDlurgM/

Is the truth so damning to liberal ideology? Apparently so. When homosex is involved #metoo becomes # ■■■■ you.

If Bill Cosby has been accused of homosex agression, libs would still be calling him an icon of family values and civility.

You edited? :rofl:

It is assault

Texas Penal Code 22.01 – Assault
Current as of: 2016 | Check for updates | Other versions
(a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person’s spouse;
(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person’s spouse; or
(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/texas/tx-codes/texas_penal_code_22-01

Yes I edit almost all my posts. I am dyslexic with a broken keyboard and often don’t see my mistakes until afterwards.