Texas is not a red state, Texas is a nonvoting state

why should they be? it is not right that some states are subject to review and others are not.

Independents exist as do independent bodies.

States that try to disenfranchise voters need to be supervised.

Ill have to remember this next time you post in a thread kvetching about democratic states.

1 Like

Yet the still have some gaul pretending the democratic party is still the party of the klan.

I know that when I was stationed there and had the dubious honor of being assigned as the Voting Rights Officer (one of my MANY collateral duties) voting registration forms and absentee ballots were much more likely to come back in time for members of my command who registered Republican.

Pure BS. We have three weeks of early voting in this state as well as absentee balloting and of course election day itself.

1 Like

How do you know these folks left ā– ā– ā– ā–  holes? Maybe they just saw better opportunties in Texas for their own businesses.

And regardless of whether they came from ā– ā– ā– ā–  holes, what right does the Texas legislature have to prevent them from voting if they are legal residents?

McLennan county, home to Waco, Texas, closed 44% of its polling places from 2012 to 2018, despite the fact that its population grew by more than 15,000 people during the same time period, with more than two-thirds of that growth coming from Black and Latinx residents.

1 Like

Anecdotal based opinion time:

In Travis county Iā€™m inundated with registration opportunities, early voting, and polling locations which makes sense, rich county, liberal, state capital.

When I first moved here my first registration card got ā€œcagedā€ in a wonky process that basically came about due to an out-of-county republican group attacking Travis county registrations and a hyphen or an apostrophe and renting a few apartments at once made me vulnerable. Jokes on them though, I was trying to vote straight R ticket that year.

Now as a firmly planted land owner who learned to stop using the appropriate punctuation in his name when dealing with computers Iā€™m safe and ready to be counted. Yet I have neighbors up the road, with a bigger plot than mine, were born here, own a business in the state, are a minority couple, and both werenā€™t registered.

ā€œWhy?ā€ I askā€¦ ā€œweā€™re a red state, our vote doesnā€™t matterā€.

They knew better. They didnā€™t need me to explain about all down ballot and local issues they were missing having a say on. It didnā€™t take much effort to convince them to change, I think they just needed someone to snap them out of it.

Got them registered in time for '18, and now we use voting days as our day to get into town together, have a good meal and a drink.

So I donā€™t blame faceless politicoā€™s in Brooks Brotherā€™s suits for our stateā€™s low turn out. I blame a stronger sense of ingrained political apathy here than Iā€™ve seen anywhere else.

ā€¦and it works both ways. There are plenty of old hats double dosing FNC and talk radio that arenā€™t bothering to register and vote for the same reason as well.

I never heard ā€œmy vote doesnā€™t matterā€ growing up in a union county in Wisconsin, and if anything in places like Scottsdale or New York it was the sense they thought their votes counted double.

So in summation: I donno.

1 Like

Minorities and other left leaning voters have to wait in longer lines to vote. That is a fact. This is done by design.

Iā€™m usually against tactics such as shaming people at restaurants, protesting at their homes, and blocking traffic. But if you try to take the right to vote away from people, you deserve anything that comes your way.

Since Shelby County v Holder, all jurisdictions subject to preclearance have been bailed into preclearance due to their history of voting rights violations. Currently, Texas is not under preclearance. They are trying their damndest to get put back under preclearance.

California didnā€™t make McAllen. Wisconsin didnā€™t sneak down in the middle of the night and inject the cholesterol and steal the stateā€™s health care.

Damn right!

Thatā€™s unfair to hogs. The hogs can serve a purpose, given some pecan wood for the smoker.

Yet you continually respond or reply to me.

If you are not interested, donā€™t engage.

With a dramatic cut in polling stations over the last 8 years.

That part, is not BS.

The Texas Secretary of State says you must meet one of the following criteria to be eligible for an absentee ballot.

• You are 65 years or older;
  • disabled;
  • out of the county on Election Day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; OR
  • confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.

Please stop. Your post crude.

Change

Oooh! Noted!

Answered your own question.

What right do they have to come in here and turn my home into the ā– ā– ā– ā–  hole they left?