Texas is not a red state, Texas is a nonvoting state

The title of this thread, is a quote in the article.

Facts:

750 polls had been closed statewide since 2012

McLennan county, home to Waco, Texas, closed 44% of its polling places from 2012 to 2018, despite the fact that its population grew by more than 15,000 people during the same time period, with more than two-thirds of that growth coming from Black and Latinx residents.

analysis finds that the 50 counties that gained the most Black and Latinx residents between 2012 and 2018 closed 542 polling sites, compared to just 34 closures in the 50 counties that have gained the fewest black and Latinx residents. This is despite the fact that the population in the former group of counties has risen by 2.5 million people, whereas in the latter category the total population has fallen by over 13,000.

This is the Republican party play book, and has been since the 1980’s.
They know, when turnout is low…it favors Republicans.

Sadly, it works.

Your headline is a bit misleading, it’s more of a “You can’t vote here” state.

; )

1 Like

Maybe a bit…

I just used a quote form the article. It was hyperbole…to make a point.

Yeah…I don’t know how anyone can look at those facts and not be ashamed of the Republicans there in Texas…

2 Likes

Perhaps the entire election process should be placed in more non partisan hands.

Voter turnout in Presidential elections is higher in Florida than it is in Texas. But Texas has nine more electoral votes than Florida. Anyway, I have assumed that voter turnout is higher in Florida than Texas is mainly because Florida is a battleground state.

There’ll be a a proud Texan in here defending this any minute now.

2 Likes

no such hands exist

1 Like

The vermin that torment us, or seek to, are placed in their proper perspective and are treated with indifference. Our pockets are to be picked, for the benefit of others, regardless of which organised gang of thieves are selected to do the picking

Interesting. So the thinking is we should go out of our way to help transplants turn our state into the â– â– â– â–  holes they left behind?

We don’t fertilize kudzu or give fertility drugs to wild hogs, either.

3 Likes

Interesting that you compare citizens in a state of America, wanting to legally vote, to wild hogs.

1 Like

I would have bet money on it.

If they want to vote, they can.

1 Like

Read the Texas GOP platform.

They call for repeal of the VRA.

They are not subtle about their intent.

9 Likes

We call it “beatin’ around the bush.”

You can only delay the inevitable for so long.

I call it bordering on racism, and absolutely cheating.

Do you live in Texas?

2 Likes

What do you think is inevitable?

I live in the USA. Last I checked, Texas was still part of the union.

So no. You can understand why your opinion holds absolutely no interest for me.

3 Likes