Texas Governor Hits 'Pause' On Further Reopening Amid COVID-19 Surge

What gives I heard things were just peachy in Texas?

“As we experience an increase in both positive COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, we are focused on strategies that slow the spread of this virus while also allowing Texans to continue earning a paycheck to support their families,” Abbott said in a statement Thursday morning. "The last thing we want to do as a state is go backwards and close down businesses.“

Hmm :thinking: sounds serious

1 Like

Here in Dallas we have a municipal order for people to wear face masks in stores…and the customers mostly (though not universally) comply. At Walmart I know they will not allow you in if you don’t comply with the rule. A few restaurants have reopned. I have been to two since then and I can only assume they comply with distancing as they were nearly empty.
I recently went on a vacation to Galveston. I stopped at a small town along the way to eat at a restaurant and had to wait in line because they were distancing. In Galveston itself it was easy to use the pool at times when it was nearly empty. The buffet was not open. I ate at three restaurants. One was outdoors, one was practicing distancing, and the third missed every rule…I would not go back there again.
The beach was not crowded at all.
In other words, articles that imply that in Texas the virus precautions are being ignored are, well, fake news. It may be true in some places but not the areas with which I am familiar.
P.S. The referenced article does not seem to be one that would imply social rules were not in force, however I have seen some, at least one in Yahoo “News” that would seem to give that impression.

3 Likes

Don’t pause. Pull back. The surge is happening under current conditions. Do not maintain the current conditions.

“There are certain counties where a majority of the people who are tested positive in that county are under the age of 30, and this typically results from people going to bars,” Abbott said during the conference. “That is the case in Lubbock County, Bexar County, Cameron County.”

The governor needs to respond appropriately at the source of the infections–the social, bar-like settings–rather than lagging behind the problem.

Texas citizens in need of elective, in-hospital surgery, are being unfairly burdened to accommodate a surge in hospitalizations. Texas must move aggressively to reduce new daily cases–which will reduce hospitalizations–so these hospital beds can open back up sooner rather than later.

Squeeze the bars and take the pressure off of the sick Texans. Further inaction is abhorrent.

the problem is there is a large set of texans who dont care. its all about freeberty… how dare you make me wear a mask or not allow me into a bar…

Oh ya ? Just try and stop me !

https://twitter.com/karensgoinwild/status/1274560774212550656?s=20

BLM protesters acted irresponsibly and reactivated the spread of COVID. I can’t wait to hear libs condemn this? Is that what your thread is about?

Surge in coronavirus cases linked to more Texans in their 20s getting sick, officials say

Kind of supports my point, doesn’t it?

Has this been quantified by someone? What percentage of New Yorkers are wearing them? What percentage of Texans? Surely you know the answer since you made the above statement.