Texas bans abortion

So you try mitigate any backlash by making voting more difficult.

3 Likes

Do you support the new law?

Which one?

At this point, there is no “let” about it. Now it is only delaying actions.

The problem as I see it, is that while the majority of Americans support access to abortion, it is not a single voting issue on the left as it is for the right.

Among its other provisions: The one that bans abortion as soon as cardiac activity is detectable, which is often before many people even know that they are pregnant; allows private citizens (with no connection to those whom they are suing) to sue anyone who they suspect has helped a woman get an abortion, including giving a ride or providing financial assistance.

The abortion law then. No, I don’t.

The voting law, I do.

Do you support allowing people to sue gun manufacturers in cases of mass shootings? Or just shootings?

Let’s stay on topic please.

It is on topic.

Why don’t you support the new Texas abortion law?

Why would I?

People AFFECTED by mass shooting? Or just any citizen?

Either one. Hoplophobe’s choice.

I know the intent.

I want to know what made them think such an arrangement to allow ANYONE to sue would be constitutional.

Certainly it is in my opinion an abuse of the intent of the civil legal system in this country.

You sue when harm has been done TO YOU.

You don’t get to sue anyone for any reason even if you have no interest or have been caused no harm.

Well that’s not true. Hasn’t been for quite some time.

One is not equivalent to the abortion law being discussed, so not sure why you are bringing it up.

Would make for an interesting thread through.

What in the Constitution would preclude it?

I don’t in either case.

But at least a tortured case could be made for someone who had harm caused to them to sue (I don’t believe that harm was caused by the gun manufacturer which is why I am against such laws).

But for sure if someone had no harm caused them in the mass shooting, they shouldn’t be allowed to sue.

The intent is the same.

I agree with @WorldWatcher

The civil legal system is for redress of harm caused by one individual or group upon another.

It’s intent was not to allow people to sue anyone for any reason whatsoever.

No it can’t.