Tell me the views of the person who said this

You can’t use Google (or Wikipedia or Bing or…) to find out who said nor may you look up his views. If you already know who said this and their views, then please wait until 10 attempts at responding have been attempted.

Here is the quote:

If one man has a dollar he didn’t work for, some other man worked for a dollar he didn’t get.

Don’t know who said it but it sounds like something the guy who lost the dollar might think.
I’d guess a guy who has some ‘extra’ dollars said this though.

Karl Marx

I’d say Mark Twain, but there’s not enough snark in It. Will Rogers?

Someone who said Reagan had appropriate second thoughts. :grinning:

Bernie Madoff’s clients.

1 Like

That was me. :slight_smile:

Donald Trump’s bankers.

Ha! Any of Trump’s contractors.

2 Likes

IDK, but inheritance and generational wealth makes this quote nonsensical.

1 Like

Sounds like an early 20th century quote. Definitely American, probably an activist for the middle class.

At the very least, three attempts that I will count. I’m unsure of whether or not I should count lessright’s answer because it isn’t terribly specific, though I probably will. The other answers aren’t serious enough for me to count. I cannot tell if @CaughtInTheMiddle’s response is serious.

The person who said the quote was American.

Six or seven more attempts to go before this gets interesting.

I don’t have a name. I would guess a 19th century industrial giant. A Rockefeller, Carnegie, Vanderbilt or Astor? Someone who thought they got screwed on a deal once.

Yeah this sounds right to me. Late 19th early 20th century. Industrial era, the quote sounds very workers rights to me. Like a commentary on the JP Morgans and Rockefellers of the time.

The cynical side of me says that this pertains to someone’s thoughts about welfare. If so it’s maybe early 70’s?

Sounds like someone that believes in the zero sum game.

It’s interesting that depending on perspective, it could be referencing the bourgeoisie or welfare recipient.

Am I missing another angle as well?

That’s really interesting. The quote can really be taken either way depending on ones political biases.

I didn’t expect my political bias to get in the way of interpreting it. Going to have to keep that in mind.

Could be the viewpoint of the working proletariat.