Telephone scams

Yeah I seen that…I support that bill.

Police are paid to protect the stupid.

In your world madoff is a god.

In mine he is the scum of the earth.

Allan

It would also give service providers power to trace and block them.

They have the power to now. They don’t have the ability.
It’s a piece of feel good legislation that will accomplish nothing.

Then you must get plenty of protection.

Yes I am stupid. I need to take self awareness classes.

At least I don’t think scam artists deserve my money.

Allan

I never said they do.

I don’t have much respect for Schumer, but I doubt that claim very much. I think if Trump had called for it and an R introduced it the right would be singing it’s praises from the mountaintops.

You don’t feel sorry for their marks.

Same difference.

Scammers should never prosper.

Allan

I never said they should prosper.
It sounds like you’re having a bad weekend. I hope you get better.
Just take it a day at a time.

Yes - spoofing is a whole new layer of complication. I have been receiving a lot of calls recently where the local area code and exchange, and sometimes even a name, will come up on the caller ID, and it’s a scammer. Just yesterday, a legitimate phone number of someone in my area came up, first name “Pat” - I answered and a woman said, “Hello, this is Sarah, how are you today?” I said, "If you’re Sarah, why does my caller ID read “Pat?” and then asked where she was calling from. She hung up.

Well there is good news…they house voted to end robocalls for once and all.

The vote was 429-3 vote. Wonder who the 3 idiots were.

I’ve had caller ID show me my own number.

1 Like

Good luck with that. That’s like voting to end tornadoes once and for all.

There has been a correlation coefficient with increase of temperature and phone scams.

I particularly like the “your Social Security number has been suspended.”

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll502.xml

https://www.consumerreports.org/robocalls/robocall-bill-wins-approval/

Do you have elderly parents?

Does your wife?

Do you have friends with elderly parents?

By elderly I mean people in their 80s and 90s - easily intimidated, easily confused by a fast talking POS with a smooth line…

Do you know anyone who has a low IQ? Functional, very proud of their abilities, but easily fooled by POS’s who enjoy taking advantage of them?

And you feel sorry for none of these people when they are scammed?

They just deserve what they get for not having a high IQ or for getting old in the first place?

https://www.ncoa.org/economic-security/money-management/scams-security/top-10-scams-targeting-seniors/

2 Likes

Feeling sorry for them doesn’t do them a bit of good. Despite anything that is done to protect them, they will find a way to give their money away.
The post about Robo calls being outlawed serves as a good example.

I worked for Bell Telephone for almost 40 years doing a variety of jobs. One of them was tracking down scam and nuisance calls.

There is no technology that can tell the difference between a scam auto-dialed call and a legitimate one. However, people will read about scam robocalls being outlawed and start assuming that the calls they get are government approved and Okay. The scam rate will only increase.

Even if these calls could be identified, they are made from offshore, out of reach of our laws.

The law in itself is a scam.

1 Like

You got that one…I receive couple too.