Teachers need to be babysitter - Kamala Harris thinks so

You still haven’t show me the optional in her write up.

I’ve show you were it says the school day schedule will be at least 8 am to 6pm

Teachers have the option of participating. Those who need the $$$ will do it, and the rest of the program will be covered by coaches, local people who do art, music, whatever.
Really- this is done all over the country. I think the main difference is that this bill will subsidize the program in low income areas, and the after care will be free.

Like I said, squre plut being shoved into a round hole.

I’ll have to see the language when she officially introduces the bill.

But if the bill says a a school scedule will be 8 am to 6pm except for weekends, Federal holdays (well so much for state holidays), and emergencies . . . to me that means kids will be required to be in school from 8 am to 6 pm with only the exceptions written into the bill.

I did show you where is says “extra time would be used for extracurricular activities” and “extend open hours until 6 p.m., offering extracurricular activities.”

That’s for kids who need it. This is not unusual at all. School academics will end, some kids will go home, others will have a snack, do some homework, read and play games with adult supervision. It’s a good thing, not bad.

“Collaborate with community partners to develop high-quality, culturally relevant, linguistically accessible,
developmentally appropriate academic, athletic, or enrichment opportunities for students from at least 8 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday throughout the school year, with no closures except for Federal holidays, weekends, and emergencies;”

This is the line throwing me off. Currently my kids go to after school care, through the YMCA from 2-6pm. They don’t learn anything in that time unless they want to. They mostly just play games.

This act seems to suggest that the official school day will be from 8-6pm. It could very well mean that the SCHOOL IS OPEN during that time and not that kids are to be “in class” until 6pm. But they need to specify that

Just fancy words for “we will stick them in the gym to play basketball”

State law mandates required number of “school” days and number of school hours. She’s talking about 500 low income schools nationwide.
So it’s extra- not mandatory.

The 500 schools (read carefully) is a pilot program.

and disseminate the lessons learned from these model schools to
communities throughout the nation.

That right there is essentially a call out to roll out the “model” schools to all schools.

In closing, after school extracurricular programs are not mandatory.

I spent my afternoons in elementary at my school? Haven’t programs like this always been around?

1 Like

Looks like it will be at the 500 model schools.

Otherwise they she wouldn’t say the school schedule will be a minimum of 8 a to 6 p.

But that is for kids who have no supervision, are you confusing terms?

500 schools ACROSS THE NATION. Do you really think the entire country would switch to that and force it on kids and families in , oh lets say Beverly Hills or Grosse Point?

Yeah I am really confused, what‘s new?

1 Like

How long have you know democrats?

Think about it.

We will force healthcare on you (sorry, you don’t get to keep your plans)
We will force you to go to alternative fuel transportation (you like your compustion engin vehicle, sorry not going to be able to drive it).
Just about every good program the dems force on everyone or expand it exponentially.

This will be no different.

:crazy_face: Oy veh.

You are incorrect.

I am a teacher and my day already goes from 6:30 am to 6:00 pm most days. What she is proposing already happens. Kids can sign up for co-curriculars which ran after school. As is the case with most people who are not in education, they propose changes with no idea of what they are talking about.

Yeah this is a bizarre thread, it’s as if no understands that this is essentially the status quo.

this is mostly about giving schools more money to do stuff they are already doing.