“TANSTAAFL” or "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!"

PART ONE–

All of the programs provided by government come with inherent and additive costs.

A famous science fiction writer, Robert Heinlein, often wrote in terms of a couple recurring themes - individual liberty and self-reliance. In his book, “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress”, illustrated the following acronym that is absolutely axiomatic:

TANSTAAFL” (pronounced “tan-staff-all”)
–or-- Acronym for–
There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

–WHICH IS THE PROPER RESPONSE TO THE EVER GROWING POPULAR SENTIMENT

AS FOLLOWS:

“Everything I want should be everything I get and the ‘government’ is the one that should give it to me”.

Trying to define anything that appears to have an innate wrongness or rightness to it is extremely difficult. Please bear with me.

Some generalizations I see>>

As I have reviewed activities in this country for the past several decades, a rather disturbing trend seems to be evolving. The trend is evidenced by a continually pervasive attitude of selfishness. As this country has grown more and more prosperous, its citizenry appears to be growing more and more selfish in the purest sense of the word.

The prevailing attitude seems to be one of -
“Everything I want should be everything I get and the government is the one that should give it to me” .
I realize that there are a lot of people out there that may not feel they subscribe to that attitude, however , they do not seem to be a majority or, at the very least, they do not make any active attempt to responsibly take exception to the point!

This pervasive attitude is promoting abdication of our individual responsibilities to “the government”. All too often most everyone appears to think that “the government” should be the ultimate solver of all our “problems” and “needs”. Consequently, we have been giving “the government” more and more power to do those things.

DAMN! I am not a Democrat BUT-- JFK made one of the most significant statements of ANY American in ANY age—AND I got to watch it on LIVE TV…

“And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.”

But – I digress –

While I can agree that some social and economic safeguards for individuals should be provided by “government”, I would call into question the ultimate mission of those safeguards.

For example – welfare programs that encourage perpetual pursuit of becoming “eligible” for the program do not meet the real needs of the people allowed to participate in those programs nor do the programs truly benefit American society in general.

“TANSTAAFL”
Accordingly the “initial” and “required future” estimated costs of social programs in terms of benefits to individuals is staggering in and of itself. Even more staggering are the bureaucratic costs of maintaining every such program. These are debts incurred by the “government” BUT the “government” DOES NOT PAY FOR THEM– “WE, THE PEOPLE” pay for it through ever increasing taxes and fees!! What is worse - it is not just the present “us” that pay - it is a debt that is passed to ALL generations to come!

So many questions are never even considered when congress enacts these bills and programs.
Does it benefit ALL the people? Is it a need or a want? Even if it is a need is it really government’s responsibility to provide it?
If it is “government’s” responsibility - is it the Federal “government’s” responsibility or is it state or even local “government’s” responsibility?
No matter whose responsibility it is, there must always be recognition of the TANSTAAFL Principle.

Along with inherent and bureaucratic costs there are societal and individual costs to these programs.

Socially, the programs have a tendency to create and perpetuate sub-societies or groups. It is a fact that families dependent on welfare programs for an extended period of time produce descendants with the same tendency. They become a caste or “problem” that must be dealt with. (More “programs”???) They are dehumanized by the very programs designed to “help” them. In effect they are enslaved. The programs do not offer any incentive or option to improve the condition of the participant to get off the program and become a productive, self-reliant, respected and responsible member of society.

I am only beginning to touch on things here - hence the necessity of successive “Parts” and Observations some of which are already begun and others that are incubating. Stay tuned if you are interested.

1 Like

Welcome.

Do you have a link to “welfare programs that encourage perpetual pursuit…”?

Most welfare programs have time limits, depending on state of residence.

Most Americans who take advantage of various assistance programs stay on it temporarily

Yeah, a bit of a dated source, but between state limits & circumstances changing, most don’t stay on cash or food and nutrition for very long.

Used to have a more harsh view of welfare (still don’t support WIC and don’t have an issue with merging it into SNAP), but having known my share of individuals who went from employment that met their needs to being un or underemployed, had children when they had the higher paying jobs, or lost income due to major illness or getting a bad deal in divorce, my stance is a bit more relaxed. More getting temporary assistance are women and children.

For example, without a roof over one’s head, how is one supposed to apply for everything from jobs to food and nutrition assistance? POB addresses and homeless won’t help these individuals to get back on their feet.