Tampa General: great success with COVID-19 treatment, reduces hospital stays

Although I would be considered in the “high risk” category because of my age, I am very conscious of my health and my immune system is extraordinary, so I am not too concerned about being infected with the virus, although I always take common sense precautions when around others.

Aside from that, there are many commonly available products which, if taken at the first signs of a virus infection, and especially a respiratory infection, which can and do prevent viruses from replicating. I have known this since the early 1990s and have yet to be incapacitated by a cold, flu, or any other respiratory infection and do not want to, without absolute certainty of its safety, introduce a laboratory cooked up concoction into my body.

And now we are seeing the “vaccine”, in general, is not as effective as natural immunity, and yet, the vaccine jabbers demand an unscientific one size fits all approach __ No Vax, No Service ___ which discriminates against those having natural immunity to the COVID virus.

NYC’s mandate__ No Vax, No Service ___ ignores the science, by actually encouraging the fully vaccinated, who are symptom free but infected and can spread the virus, to go about and enjoy public accommodations and spread the virus, while those who have natural immunity and are virus free, are discriminated against by government and prohibited from going about their daily activities. So why is natural immunity given little to no attention?

See Our COVID Overlords’ Insane Ignorance of Natural Immunity

Aug 23, 2021

"Appearing on Fox News’ “Hannity” to discuss the topic a few weeks ago, Dr. Nicole Saphier called the CDC “myopic.”

“We have ample data showing that natural immunity provides effectiveness against severe disease from SARS-CoV-2,” she said. “In fact, Israel showed that reinfection following prior infection is about seven times less likely than if you are fully vaccinated. So I find it to be very myopic that the CDC continues to discount the protection of natural immunity. They only do it for SARS-CoV-2. They acknowledge natural immunity for measles, chickenpox, and many other viruses, but they are so myopic right now in trying to encourage vaccination that they are truly actually not following the science.”

There is something very, very suspicious taking place when an important factor, natural immunity, in dealing with the Covid outbreak is given little to no attention.

BTW, did you see the following? COVID-19 survivors may possess wide-ranging resistance to the disease

July 22, 2021

”Recovered COVID-19 patients retain broad and effective longer-term immunity to the disease, suggests a recent Emory University study, which is the most comprehensive of its kind so far. The findings have implications for expanding understanding about human immune memory as well as future vaccine development for coronaviruses.”

The article goes on to point out the study suggests “. . . that patients who survived COVID-19 are likely to also possess protective immunity even against some SARS-CoV-2 variants.”

One thing for certain is, we need to pay more attention to natural immunity which is an important factor in dealing with the COVID outbreak.

JWK

Florida COVID update:

Florida COVID hospitalizations down, per hospital association data

September 3rd 2021

*"The signs continue to point to the fact that COVID-19 hospitalizations have peaked in Florida,” said Mary C. Mayhew, President and CEO, Florida Hospital Association in a statement. “While the total number of hospitalizations remain high and workforce challenges remain, it is encouraging that fewer hospitals are expecting critical staffing and oxygen shortages. As Floridians continue to get vaccinated and with expanded availability of monoclonal antibody treatments for those who test positive, it looks like the worst of this surge may finally be behind us.”

And in an earlier article, Sept. 2nd, we find, Mary C. Mayhew,

“credited Gov. Ron DeSantis‘ frequent promotion of monoclonal antibody treatments, and his efforts to make them widely available in Florida, as among the reasons for recent improvement and for hope that the summer surge may be waning in the Sunshine State.”

“Mayhew started out on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” show Friday noting Florida has been on the front-end of the nation’s summer surge of COVID-19, with “a dramatic increase in hospitalizations over a seven week period.”___ LINK

JWK

There is more good news. About two weeks after DeSantis took the lead in Florida and started advocating the antibody treatment, and a number of States then followed his lead, the overall deaths from COVID across the United States began to level out, and are now in the decline!

See: Daily confirmed COVID-19 deaths, rolling 7-day average

Of course, our mainstream media will not give Gov. DeSantis the credit for encouraging other States to start making the antibody treatment widely available to their residents . . . their aim is a 24/7 beat up on DeSantis routine, just like they did with President Trump and their phony Russian collusion crap which turned out to be a big fat lie.

JWK
None dare call the Democrat Party Leadership’s arming of the Taliban, (our enemy), with United States’ military equipment, as TREASON. Why?

Not exactly what I was looking for, but close.

DeSantis said the treatment wasn’t about taking away the need for vaccines, which he said were good for protection.

“But you’ve also got to have an ability to treat as well,” DeSantis said. “And so, there’s prevention, but then also the treatment. And for far too long, the treatment was neglected.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/desantis-touts-monoclonal-antibody-treatment-says-new-site-opening-next-week-in-pensacola/ar-AAO4zQC

The clip I heard he said the lab coats are not being more vocal about the treatment because they are afraid it will encourage people not to get the vaccine… and that may be at least somewhat true.

Do they have the “right” to manipulate us like that?

Pretty much. The vaccine is good initially but good treatments are in order as well. Both will help keep people out of the hospital.

It seems that common sense has finally prevailed in the COVID outbreak, and effectively treating the virus is now on par with the vaccine, as it should have been from the beginning.

FDA approves new antibody COVID-19 treatment at 6 new state-funded clinics including Missouri

Sep 1, 2021

The state of Missouri is breaking out a new weapon to keep more COVID patients out of hospitals: monoclonal antibody infusions.

The article continues:“You get the effect right away,” said Dr. Karthik Iyer, chief medical officer of Mercy Hospital Jefferson in Festus, which is hosting one of the new infusion centers.

“With vaccines, it still takes time to develop that immunity, the level of antibodies that can ward off the infection but with the monoclonal antibody infusion, the effect starts right away,” Iyer said. “

Health experts: Monoclonal antibody treatment gaining popularity, helping COVID-19 patients recover faster

September 2, 2021

“RALEIGH, N.C. — While doctors have stressed the importance of COVID-19 vaccinations, there are also coronavirus treatments helping sick patients stay out of the hospital.

Monoclonal antibody therapy is gaining popularity in North Carolina — and hospitals throughout the Triangle are seeing the increase in demand.

In June, about 100 people a week were getting monoclonal antibody therapy across the state, but last week, more than 3,000 treatments were given to patients.”

Local doctor encourages monoclonal antibody treatment against COVID-19

Sep 6, 2021

“FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) – A local doctor says monoclonal antibodies are our best bet against any already-diagnosed COVID-19 cases.”

The article goes continues: “There are other treatments that have been talked about that I think we’re all just learning the science and we’re all just trying to do the best we can with the information we have,” Dr. Bolding said. “But, as of today, that is the most proven method if you contract Covid.”

It’s about freaken time that common sense has finally prevailed!

JWK

Anakinra just passed a phase 3 randomized trial with excellent results for patients presenting with moderate to severe COVID and a high soluble urokinase plasminogen activator receptor (suPAR) serum level (>6 ng/ml). Significant drops in mortality, ICU time and Vent need and time. It is an Interleukin 1 antagonist commercially available and used to treat RA.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01499-z

I have always felt that the best approach for these patients had to center on mast cells and cytokines, either by addressing TNF (biologics) or Interleukin. Plus mast cell inhibition by Melatonin and histamine suppression by Zrtec and Pepcid. Antiplatelets are also becoming important. Aspirin does the trick here, just a baby one.

3 Likes

Good info, I’m calling my vet… :wink:

1 Like

Very true! This IS a horse med, and a horse med that actually has benefit! Skip the dewormer! This is better. (Please seek professional help if you have moderate to severe COVID, it goes without saying)

I am just pumped a phase 3 trial showed such great results, and published in Nature! That is one tough magazine to get published in, you have to be spot on to get published there. Tougher than NEJM.

2 Likes

Here are some vital results from the study:

A lower proportion of patients treated with anakinra progressed to severe respiratory failure or death by day 14 compared to placebo (20.7% versus 31.7% in the anakinra and placebo arms.

These are patients with advanced COVID and positive suPAR tests, which indicate high ARDS, Vent and death rates. A reduction of over 30% is impressive vs placebo.

Survival analysis showed that anakinra treatment significantly reduced the risk of death by day 28 compared to placebo (3.2% versus 6.9% in the anakinra and placebo arms.

A greater than 50% reduction in death! Excellent stuff. The Anakinra patients also had significantly shorter hospital stays, ICU stays, and long term morbidity.

2 Likes

There is no question. The antibody treatment, if administered within the first ten days of COVID infection, is an essential tool in dealing with the COVID outbreak. Get the freaken treatment if you do get infected!

See UPMC study: Monoclonal antibody treatment reduces covid-19 hospitalization, death

Wednesday, Sept. 8, 2021

”From March through June, UPMC randomly gave either Eli Lilly or Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody treatment to 1,935 covid-19 patents. Initial data, which came before delta was the predominant strain in the country, showed both treatments “performed well in keeping patients with covid-19 alive and out of the hospital,” researchers said. With both treatments, the researchers said very few serious complications arose.”

The article goes on to point out

“UPMC hospitals have treated 5,700 covid patients with monoclonal antibodies, including 2,300 in the past month” . . . and . . . “Data show that, with the treatment, 70% of patients who would have otherwise been hospitalized are avoiding inpatient treatment.”

Don’t delay, get the treatment, and early!

JWK

The Democrat Party Leadership, once an advocate for hard working American citizens and their families, is now their worst nightmare.

I thought the latest update on the antibody treatment should be posted in this thread. See Thousands Treated With Monoclonal Antibodies in Florida

September 14, 2021

“Florida is ahead of the game, with the state opening at least 25 Monoclonal Antibody Centers, as research from Mayo Clinic shows the COVID-19 therapy is up to 70% effective in preventing hospitalization, if done early.”

I’m happy that Ron DeSantis didn’t back down and took the lead by showing others how providing a treatment for the COVID outbreak is a game changer, and doesn’t require depriving people of their inalienable right to make their own decisions and choices regarding their healthcare needs.

Since DeSantis has opened antibody treatment centers around the State, there has been a 20% drop in hospitalizations, as noted in the above article.

JWK

Is it not a fact President Biden is giving aid and comfort to tens of thousands of Covid infected foreigners, who are invading our southern border?

I am still amused at conservatives pushing for the most expensive form of socialized health care.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

Man. You are really posting some bizarre comments lately.

So, are you suggesting if a loved one of yours happens to get infected with COVID and detects the symptoms early, you would not recommend the antibody treatment? Or, are you here to create any imaginable argument as a distraction from the fact that treating those infected with COVID is an essential part of dealing with the COVID outbreak?

JWK

No he is suggesting that everyone get vaccinated to lower your risk of catching it in the first place. THEN, IF you catch Covid… you get the best treatment available.

1 Like

Why? Who was suggesting the opposite? Nobody.

1 Like

So IF you get vaccinated and catch it you get the best treatment, if you are unvaccinated and catch it you don’t get the best medical treatment? Unequal medical treatment?

Bless your heart.

2 Likes

You seem to be suggesting an idea that, .e.g., all those who have engaged in promiscuous sexual activities and have caught AIDs for example, should not get medial treatment. Is that the thinking you are applying to the COVID outbreak?

JWK

1 Like

Another promising treatment. I’m so grateful to live in Florida with a governor who is this proactive.

“I had a call yesterday with GlaxoSmithKline executives about their monoclonal antibody [product] sutrovimab,” said the governor, adding that sutrovimab showed great promise during clinical trials. DeSantis added:

The clinical data on that was even better than the clinical data on Regeneron – 85% reduction in hospitalizations. It is not approved for subcutaneous injections, so if we get it, and we use it at our sites, we have to expand the amount of IV treatments that are available, which we are going to be willing to do.

Since GlaxoSmithKline has no purchasing agreement with the federal government, DeSantis said that Florida could use their product sutrovimab to fill any shortages.

“They do not have a direct purchase agreement with the federal government, said DeSantis. “The federal government has bought all the Regeneron. They just upped it for another shipment. We are not able to buy it directly from Regeneron,” he said.

3 Likes

DeSantis is playing you.

Florida is getting the largest allocation from the Federal Government.

DeSantis is trying to shift blame for his own failed policies.