Syrian Refugee Thwarted in Terror Bomb Plot

There we go…

I don’t think we should base our immigration policy on one case.

There are officially about 17k refugees in this country. Of course that number will be low. But still, one case out of 17k is no basis for change.

Of course he could have been Norwegian and still planned a bad deed.

He hadn’t radicalized yet. All the records in the world wouldn’t have changed that.

I thought we had like 20 million refugees?

Not according to the internet. I think there are somewhere in the neighborhood of that legally bearing arms though.

1 Like

…like 3? Yeah…that was a long time ago? Remove your feelings and think with your brain…please.

1 Like

The seeds of radicalization were clearly sewn during his time in Syria.

We could predict this without any paperwork.

Better to take in a couple thousand carefully vetted Syrians than 17,000 unvetted. It was a poor policy decision and we WARNED this would happen.

:children_crossing:

I’m super curious to know what source you used to come to 17k. The annual limit was multiples of that in years past.

Just think through that logically.

20 million is world wide (I misread that the first time, seemed a little high).

There are about 3 million in the US.

Wikipedia. Maybe it was annual, I don’t really care. What’s the right number?

Just think through that logically.

Is that condescension necessary? Think that through.

Ok, 1 in 3MM. Even better.

I was talking with an Iraqi refugee last night. This person worked as a translator for US forces during the second Iraq War. They then faced multiple death threats and was shot and wounded one time.

The vetting process took nine years. During that time, two of the children in the family passed their eighteenth birthday and were blocked from entering the US. Both are now in prison in Thailand. The younger children are here.

Be careful that in your hunt for a perfect vetting process, you don’t create the conditions that radicalize people. Sometimes radicalization is a function of the experience have in the US, not necessarily who they were in their home country. Simple solutions may be emotionally satisfying but they don’t necessarily for real people – including people who have put their lives on the line for US interests.

2 Likes

Iraq was another disasterous choice of whether or not “we” should go to war. Bush 2 will go down in history as being one of the worst Presidents of all time…just for this one decision alone.

James Alex Fields - When was he radicalized? How do we vet those people as well?

That’s a good post. I would guess part of the problem is the lack of communication between ministries of Centgov. His time as translator should have counted as “good time” for his Visa. State obviously didn’t do that.

Of course he should have been and probably was vetted to some level before being hired as a translator.

Maybe we should allow the Department of Defense to issue some visas.

Iraq was not a mistake. It was an inevitable opportunity.

More of a threat in your opinion, Syrian refugees … or right wing extremists?

Who said anything about a perfect vetting process?

I am looking for a pragmatic one and fewer refugees…Not zero…just a moderated number since our entire system is now overburdened.

An Iraqi translator is a much better candidate than any Syrian war refugee. Nine years is much too long in that case. Still better to err on the side of caution.

I have never bought the premise that the US can radicalize a philosophy that predates us by centuries.

It certainly needs to be heavily reviewed.

1 Like

I would classify them the same in terms of threat level.

If you can add opiate abusers to the poll, I could pick them.