Sweatshops are a good thing, change my mind

But, how else can we compete unless we all live in slums like they do in HK?

I said it was not fair.

But we have no right to fairness in this country. We don’t go by “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”

Utopia does not exist. Every time it is promised, millions die.

I participated in child labor when I was a kid, I used to pick tomatoes for Heinz starting when I was like eight years old and did other farm work. I was glad to have the money, nobody forced me to do it. You would probably say I was taken advantage of but I wasn’t, I volunteered and was happy to earn my quarter a bushel, bought a lot of comic books with that money.

And now…

Yeah I don’t know about this post-2008. Working class millennials are busting their ass just like they did in the past.

I know my kids aren’t remotely sedentary, but it is hard to deny more are given the childhood obesity epidemic. The exceptions don’t make the rule.

That I agree with. I suppose I was addressing the idea my generation is lazy.

The ones that want to get ahead are.

ICE…

Aren’t libs trying to destroy that organization? Don’t they care about the children working in sweatshops in LA?

I’d say most of us are.

We will most likely, as a generation, end up working longer than our grandparents and parents did.

Thats great and I think many of us did jobs like that but one distinct difference between that and what we are talking about. You did it out of a choice and for some extra cash. Its not as if you were forced to work in horriific conditions where the owners would use any excuse to dock your already paltry wage.

Dont try and compare the two -its intellectually dishonest.

ICE was created March 1, 2003.

Which is what Trump is trying to prevent…

Captain Obvious?..

So you wouldn’t call working children in the hot sun, for a few dollars a day exploitative or child abuse, if they volunteer to do it for pocket money? But it is, if they need the money to eat? That seems backwards to me.

No it is exploitative but as I said before the significant difference is that your parents never made you do it. You were not forced into it because your family was destitute and the farm owner was not taking advantage of that.

Of course he was taking advantage of a youngster who knew no better and today I am glad there are laws in place that stop that from happening but its not the same as sweat shops existing in the 21st century which are little more than slave labor. Many illegals find themselves “owing” huge amounts of money to criminal gangs and are forced into slave labor to pay off their debt. A debt which due to interest and other things is never paid off.

Seriously mate you trying to compare the two? Though let me guess you will say it is the illegals fault and the business owner is just taking advantage of the market place.

No, I just take issue with the bold portions. It wasn’t exploitive. It was entirely beneficial on my end. I was glad to have the work and the money and could walk away at any time. So in my view, child labor isn’t exploitive, provided it is voluntary, coercion is a different matter. That is exploitive no matter what age the worker is.

And if you want to say it is exploitive because they need the money to eat, well that sounds like a lesser evil than starving to death to me.

The world has changed. Trump like most of his generation is trapped in the past.

Most of us have accepted it. Those of us working class We work till we drop. It’s the nature of the beast.