Sweatshops are a good thing, change my mind

People who work in sweatshops tend to want to work in sweatshops. The pay is better than the alternative, which occasionally is nothing–i.e., no job. Of course, companies should do more to make those sweatshops less sweatshoppy.

Plus, the cost of living in many of those places is so ridiculously low that the alarming wages that we read about actually turn out to be pretty good for that place.

Remember the Apple factory in China that had to put nets around the building so that workers wouldn’t be able to jump off the roof? Too sweatshoppy.

Now I guess I should read the article.

Yeah… the owners definitely violated our right to fairness. I forget which amendment in our bill of rights that is though. Guess I’m not very good with that kind of stuff.

It seems to be working for Nike.

2017 article

No one on the left cares anymore. Nike is good to go. Colin Kaepernick gave the thumbs up. Sweatshops are OK.

So it would seem. It’s fun to watch.

Nice way to avoid my questions.

It’s not about fairness but about treating human beings with some dignity.

A good businessman can treat employers well and still make a profit.

I know a number of self employed people who employ a handful of employees and while they cannot afford to provide them with benefit rich health insurance plans etc. they still pay them a more than fair wage and create an environment that breeds loyalty to the business.

I would still like to have my questions answered but we both know you won’t becusse it will destroy your rose tinted view of the past.

If business conditions will allow it.

If you desire to shop at Walmart, sweatshops are a good thing.

ps…good to see you John Rocks. It’s been a long time my friend.

Well, they are a good thing for underdeveloped countries, and a good thing for workers who would otherwise starve. Not so much for US workers who are asked to compete with them in a race to the bottom in wages. If it were up to me, we wouldn’t trade with such countries until they had a decent minimum wage and working conditions as a prerequisite for trade with us.

1 Like

If wages in Mexico were similar to wages in the US, would we need a border wall?

They would need one instead.

1 Like

You are delusional. There is nothing rose tinted about watching your mother go work in a sweatshop every day.

On their north or south border?

Wasn’t there an announcement about $16 per hour jobs being created in Mexico with the last trade deal?

And would we be importing stuff from Mexico?

Both. Lower cost of living there would make similar wages to ours more attractive to US workers as well. Might have to do something about the cartels before it became too much of a problem though.

I agree, now off to the gulag.

One of the basic principles of business is that your employees are your most valuable asset. A good business owner has to make difficult decisions which at times includes pay cuts and layoffs but anyone who is truly invested in the success of their own business will make the same sacrifices personally as they expect their employees to make.

No one should be expected to work for a pittance in conditions you would not let your dog live in.

But your right at times business conditions create a climate that makes a business unviable which is sad for all concerned but that’s part of life.

it’s not difficult to practice ethical capitalism and treat people with respect and dignity.

Btw, we know an expendable workforce builds any nation and has since the dawn of civilization.

You’re the one that made the post I replied to. You saw your own mum work In sweatshop yet you are incapable of criticizing them.

I can’t talk for you but if I had seen my mum be taken advantage like that I would’ve decried the perpetrators and a system that allowed that to happen.

Obviously your mum was a wonderful person to put up with conditions like that for her family. And I am not being sarcastic. We can never let conditions like that become rampant again in the US.

That would depend on how badly one needs the money they are getting from that job and what other alternatives are available.