Supreme Court takes up a critically important dormant commerce clause case

It’s already happening with eggs.

You should be overjoyed right about now at that news.

That is not true.

“Overjoyed” is probably an overstatement, but I am pleased and pleasantly surprised about the decision.

Oh really?

“A California law banning eggs sales in the state produced by hens that are not cage free, regardless of where they are produced, is raising production costs for producers,” says Phillip Coles, a teaching associate professor in Lehigh University’s Decision and Technology Analytics department in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Funny how that works isn’t it?

Really. The egg standards are part of Prop 12…which is the law that was just upheld. Your eggs may cost more, but this isn’t the reason why.

I strongly disapprove of the decision.

While I actually support the higher standards, I strongly condemn one State being able to shove its standards on essentially the other 49 States (and Canada for that matter).

When Florida adopted a Constitutional Amendment banning gestation cages, the standards applied ONLY to Florida producers.

I would actually not oppose FEDERAL standards of the same nature as California.

I reject the idea one State can impose its will on 49 States (and Canada).

In any event, Congress needs to regulate pork with standards that specifically preempt all State regulation.

So US News and World Report is lying?

Or was that part of the law never challenged in the first place?

In any event, the Supreme Court ■■■■■■ the end result anyhow, as Gorsuch was not able to coral 5 Justices for one single standard.

Yes

As far as I know, the entire proposition was stayed pending this decision.

You sure about that?

Egg producers are largely expected to comply just fine (though some in the industry think the price of eggs could rise too). United Egg Producers, an industry trade association whose members produce nearly all eggs consumed in the US, said in an emailed statement, “UEP’s farmer-members support all types of hen housing and will comply with California’s new law, when implemented.”

Seems the egg producers didn’t fight this, and just went along with it, and I’m paying the price.

This has blowback. If you thought outside soft money was bad before, it’s about to get 1000 times worse.

When you can write rules telling me how to live, don’t you think I should have some input to your elections? And since I can’t vote at your ballot box, it should only be fair that I vote with my dollars right?

Next time you complain about soft money in elections, just remember one thing: you earned it!

Pretty sure. I haven’t seen anything saying just the pork rules were stayed. Maybe some of the egg guys just went ahead and began following the new standards. In any event, eggs have gone down in price after that spike.

No

Yes

According to Vox, almost the entire egg industry complied with your rules.

And why do you think I should not have any input into your elections with my dollars, especially if you are writing rules telling me how to live? Do you think you have some kind of divine right to rule over me or something?

Okay, but I don’t think they had to, as the law was stayed.

I did not say that:

No. But we are all required to follow the law where applicable.

You did say I should have no input into your elections.

Yet at the same time, you said it was OK to send soft money to groups to influence your elections.

Do you not realize money is how I provide input?

Okay, let’s put an end to this nonsense.

Yes. You can influence elections with your money. I say that unequivocally.

If you wanted an actual vote on this, you should have moved to California.

Also, you have a federal remedy available. A national standard could be established. You have an actual vote there.