Supreme Court Refuses to Block Ban on Bump Stocks

Depends, detachable probably, integral probably not. And in no case would it be constitutional to confiscate the ones already owned without just compensation.

I am against the ban on a procedural basis. It shouldn’t be allowed to stand as an executive order.

That said. Bump stocks are a gimmick that does skirt around the technical definition of an automatic weapon. I don’t think automatic weapons should be banned, it’s a violation of the 2nd and the US vs Miller court ruling. But if the automatic ban is going to stand it should include bump stocks. It just shouldn’t be from the whims of the executive, but from the legislature instead.

There were two requests from gun groups to stay the ban order and both were denied by Roberts without comment.

This is not a Second Amendment issue. Bump stocks are not arms. It is a Fifth Amendment issue. In this case, the ATF said they were legal to own and to attach to a semi-auto rifle, but then subsequently, they reversed that decision and instead of requiring the owners apply for a class 3 permit to keep them, called for their confiscation/destruction without compensation. That violates the 5th Amendment.

That part is true. If the Government can do this with bump stocks in violation of the 5th Amendment, they can potentially do it with anything. How about a confiscate/destroy order without compensation on gasoline powered vehicles? What would you say to that?

Have you ever seen a gun?

Usually they are either get grandfathered in or there is a buy back so you can recoup your cost.
This time they said you have to turn them in or destroy them by I think the date was March 26, 2019. Some bump stock owners can still keep theirs if they were listed in one of the law suits going through the courts. Everyone else it was turn them in or destroy them.
I believe there will be law suits filed in the coming days that say that this is a violation of the 5th amendment. I know of people that when they turned them in made sure they got a receipt stating how many they turned over. Others have kept the ruins of their bump stocks as proof that they owned them and destroyed them. So when this is ruled unconstitutional they will have a way to recoup their loss.
All of this for a useless law that won’t prevent another nut from killing people.

1 Like