Supreme Court Oral Arguments in the Colorado ongoing Live

Which I agree. However I was responding to a post regarding Trump. And as a politician running for office, oublic opinion does exist. And as I said, the evidence in the D.C. case has yet to be given.

yes this good question

When you totally ignore the truth of this blatant fact, that proves there was no “insurrection”, we’re done discussing it any further. It’s now a waste of our time.

2 Likes

You’ve been shown time and again to be thoroughly wrong. Opinion like yours (and such opinion is widespread) can’t be relied upon to determine right from wrong.

1 Like

I was stating what some folks have said in articles I have read. Did I say that these were also my opinions? And of course opinions are not determination of what is right or wrong. Why even mention it?

Public opinion is expressed at the voting booth. Determining who can, and can not, be on the ballot isn’t a question of public opinion.

2 Likes

Of course I agree with you on that one. However this was not public opinion in Colorado. It was a court.
And the SCOTUS found that they didn’t have the right to remove Trump from the ballot. So they said that the state did not have the right. Although in the Dobbs decision the same court gave the states control over women’s medical care. Go figure.

Perhaps one involves an interpretation of the US Constitution, which is clearly federal jurisdiction?

3 Likes

Apples and oranges. Insurrection is in the constitution, and defined in Title 18 (criminal statute). There is no state criminal statute on insurrection, and there is no civil statute at either the state, or federal level authorizing a basis for filing in civil court to declare someone an insurrectionist. The Colorado action was an attempt to create a civil action out of thin air.

2 Likes

Interesting thing. The trivia question on the white board a few days ago asked what state had the first two blacks in the Senate. Answer was Mississippi in the 1870s. It was, in part, because of the prohibition of Confederate soldiers from being in Congress.

That’s the sort of Insurrection they had in mind when it was added to the Constitution. Actual war against the USA. Not a half-day riot and people dressed up as a bison.

5 Likes

Two different things.

1 Like

Exactly. The Civil War was an insurrection.

Jan 6th not even close.

Well that’s not true at all. The Civil War was a war.
January 6 was a failed insurrection

If worms had machine guns do you think birds would eat them?

Which no one has even been charged with under Title 18. But by all means, keep trying…

1 Like

Always nice to have Posters who have nothing but answer a question with a question.

It is true. It was a war, an insurrection, an insurgency…

I’m still holding on that the court isn’t even going to touch the definition of an insurrection, at least not in the primary decision. They will just say that it is not a determination for individual states to make.

So basically, Democrat voters, give Joe (or whoever) a victory --as in “we can have a messed up state if we want to, this is a Democracy!”