Supreme Court definitively puts an end to church appeals of COVID-19 orders

Close em.

Too late.

Nope, rights are not unlimited.

The SCOTUS has never been wrong?

Well, you cannot close everything, how would we get food? But you can limit the number of people allowed into these places and they did so. At Lowe’s, for instance, only 50 people were allowed in at any one time in Michigan when things were bad and for most purchases you had to order online and have curbside pickup.

And that is the thing, can you still observe your faith without be physically present inside a church? For millions of people the answer is yes. The infirm cannot attend, but they use TV services. You can’t watch the Cooking Channel and have a nice meal. And you can’t watch HGTV and have them fix your hot water heater.

There are whole cable stations dedicated to religion and observing people’s faith. And folks who rely on this are just as observant as those who attend services physically.

The above is the problem. A uniform ban on the gathering of all churches on the basis of the above is silliness. Rather, churches that can use their facilities, or structure the size and number of their services to accomodate social distancing and the wearing of masks shouldn’t have been required to close their doors.*

*The asterisked sentence does not indicate I think the government can require churches to shut their doors. Rather, I’m pointing to the silliness of a uniform requirement. Especially when some churches could have done a better job than the local Burger King, or grocery store.

1 Like

That is not for the government to determine.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Free exercise thereof.
Peaceably assemble.

1 Like

This isn’t permanent, we have a once in a century pandemic going on. I don’t see Catholics getting in a tizzy about this, nor synagogues or mosques. Everybody needs to do their part, but a building doesn’t make your faith real, it’s what is in your heart.

1 Like

It is unConstitutional.

1 Like

I will agree to disagree here.

I will disagree to rationalize.

Two things:

1. That doesn’t address my argument. If a church can observe social distancing and its members wear masks, why should they be prohibited from gathering?

2. Modern confusion over the nature of Christian worship notwithstanding, historically Christianity has viewed public worship as a central component. Sure, that doesn’t require meeting in a building. But it does require meeting together, physically. The idea of assembly is inherent to the church. The actual word translated as “church” means “assembly”.

1 Like

I wouldn’t care even if it was Constitutional.

1 Like

Every rationalization ever.

1 Like
  1. Because it isn’t safe at the moment and you can still worship God apart from the physical structure of the church.

2. Yet for millions of Christians, they practice their faith remotely and still consider themselves Christian. For a brief time, other Christians who assemble to profess their faith will have to adjust until the time comes when it is safer. And during that time, they will still be good Christians.

According to the SCOTUS, it is Constitutional.

All this has to do with harm to unwilling participants. I think that’s the biggest problem I have here. Government is telling grown adults they cannot get together and worship because of the risk. Well, where does that nonsense stop? Driving? Sky diving? Flying? Eating unhealthy?

1 Like

SCOTUS got it wrong.

Our rights are not subject to what you believe is necessary or essential.

Is there any evidence you are more likely to contract this disease in church than at the grocery store?

2 Likes

Does not override people’s right to not have an infectious disease spread.