Stop blaming the Orthodox Jewish community for the measles outbreak

Seems that there is a concerted effort to point to the Orthodox Jewish community for a measles outbreak in our country. But shunning vaccinations does not make the measles virus appear out of thin air. The probability is that illegal border entrants are introducing the virus and other diseases into our communities.

See More than 2,000 quarantined over mumps outbreak at immigration detention centers
In 2016, there was a measles outbreak at an immigrant detention center in Eloy, Arizona, which contributed to a statewide outbreak after some employees refused to get vaccinated.

Keep in mind these detentions centers are not housing the thousands of illegal entrants who cross our unprotected border undetected, and then melt into our communities.

See: Measles outbreak adds to argument to secure U.S. border, former Rep. Hayworth says

While it’s impossible to catch everyone trying to enter the country illegally, that doesn’t mean we can afford to ignore the danger as we work to once again rid our land of measles and other diseases making a comeback thanks to the anti-vaccination movement. Thousands of illegal immigrants enter the country every day in areas where border security is weak or non-existent, and even one infected person has the potential to spread the measles to dozens of others.

It’s time to stop blaming the Orthodox Jewish community and zero in on how this virus is entering our country, and that includes the very real probability it is being introduced by illegal entrants.

JWK

Illegal immigration is now costing American citizens over $18 billion a year in healthcare costs alone! Far more than the measly $5.7 billion asked for to build a wall! LINK

The measles were contracted from unvaccinated Hasidic children traveling to Ukraine.

Trying to link this outbreak to illegal immigration is dumb.

6 Likes

You have no idea what you’re talking about.

7 Likes

“Don’t blame the Jews! Blame the immigrants!”

SMH…

6 Likes

/thread

Just like Dems don’t want the capitol of Israel to be Jerusalem, and you have a Anti-Semitic Jew hater as a Democrat Politician. lol.

What does this have to do with the OP?

Um… Okay…

Literally nothing to do with what I said…

Let’s start with the obvious that vaccinating against the measles is the best way of restricting measles outbreaks.

Linking vaccinations to autism should be repudiated by the current president of the USA. By doing this it will remove a potential alarm preventing increasing vaccination rates.

2 Likes

Gotta give credit to fat donald on this one.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1121772617587757056?s=21

Give credit where due. Trump did reverse himself on this.

2 Likes

I thought you were talking about people of the Jewish faith?

Does Israel and Jerusalem have nothing to do with Jewish people?

Does Ilhan Omar’s anti-Semitic remarks about Jewish people have nothing
to do with Jewish people?

Wrong.

Here are key facts about the outbreak:

• Public health officials blame the measles resurgence on the spread of misinformation about vaccines. A vocal fringe of parents opposes vaccines, believing, contrary to scientific studies, that ingredients in them can cause autism.
  • The largest outbreaks are concentrated in Orthodox Jewish communities in New York City’s Williamsburg neighborhood, where some 390 cases have been confirmed, and Rockland County north of New York City, which has recorded 201 cases. Those figures include infections from last year and are not directly comparable to the CDC number

This one should destroy the above false statement.

• The United States’ 2000 declaration that measles was eradicated meant that the disease was no longer present in the country year round. Measles remains common in some countries in Europe, Asia and Africa, and unvaccinated travelers to those countries can bring it back to the United States. The current outbreaks are believed to trace back to visits to Israel and Ukraine.

Agreed. Trump did the right thing with this statement.

ETA - my apologies if my agreement with Trump on this matter causes any consternation to anyone - lol

5 Likes

My post is not about Jewish people, but more a criticism that the OP seems to think that we need to blame groups of people. (Which I don’t agree with)

Don’t blame “group x” instead blame “group y”

1 Like

Isn’t criticism judgmental though? Aren’t you blaming someone?
Sounds pretty contradictory to me. lol.

Thank you for your opinion but there is sufficient evidence the invasion at our southern border has introduced diseases into our population.

More than 2,000 people in ICE custody quarantined for contagious diseases

March 11, 2019

(CNN)More than 2,000 people in Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody are being quarantined amid an outbreak of mumps and other diseases.

The numbers of immigrants in custody with a contagious diseases has spiked in the past year. For the previous two years, the agency has not encountered a single case of mumps among its detainees.

"As of March 7, 2019, there was a total of 2,287 detainees cohorted for exposure to a detainee with a contagious condition," said ICE spokesperson Brendan Raedy in a statement.

In the past 12 months, there have been health investigations at 51 ICE detention facilities for mumps, chickenpox and influenza, according to Raedy.

JWK

Nowhere in this article is the word “measles” found.