Stock market plunge continues, Amazon joins the "Cut-in-Half Club"

Not a chance. It’s nothing like MySpace.

MySpace still exists btw.

If you put all your money all at once ina very few stocks, that can be bad. If you put your money into about 20 varied stocks a little at a time over a thirty year period and never have more than 70% in stocks, you are not really worried.

1 Like

You just highlighted one of my areas of investing, of which I kind of only do 2 currently.

My strategy is: buck the market. Do the opposite.

When Biden took office and oil plummeted…… I bought the heck out of BP stocks. And am going to make bank…… I just have to decide if now is when to sell, BP is at/near its 52 week high, but if you look at a 5 year chart it’s no where near it’s historical high.

The other area I buy is metals ETFs. Silver mostly…. And I’ve been buying the crap out of it the last few weeks. Should make bank off that when it goes back up.

My strategy is simple. If what I’m looking at is a stable company/item but is on its way down…… buy it all the way to the bottom and keep buying it until the “cost basis per share” is below its current value.

1 Like

Oh c’mon guys, it’s not that bad. My IRA is only down about $120,000 since Brandon took over. :confused:

4 Likes

Cheer up Samm.
Pretty soon you’ll look back on this time as “the good ol days.”

3 Likes

I agree with your assessment as a whole. I do believe entitues like amazon and perhaps netflix gives a certain service. I can go to amazon and buy products or i can go to netflix and view a product. I think in those instances technology is becoming more readily available and competition is encroaching those companies profits.

I never understood those like facebook, yahoo, google, etc. Web based programs that never deliver a real value and yet are traded as if they can almost seems like a set up for failure.

1 Like

Thanks … I needed that. :smirk:

I don’t think it’s going to get BETTER in the next 3 months.

You live in Alaska, you know sometimes “riding out the storm” is the best policy.
But yeah, the weather is bad and it’s gonna get worse. I feel safe making THAT prediction.

As a mail carrier Amazon can go the way of the dodo for all I care.

You might get your wish, sort of.

Amazon is

• A seller of and middleman website for books and stuff (that division took a loss)
  • Amazon Web Services (that division is responsible for 100% of Amazon’s profit)

I would have to do some research to pinpoint the exact source of the problem in Amazon’s profits. But I can tell you:
Amazon revenue is actually UP Y-o-Y 7.21%. . . . Huh? That’s right

Bad: Net income is down 126% Y-o-Y.

Alarming: That means Amazon execs, reading the same economic news you and I do, have been spending more and more not less and less.

Am I missing something?

DOW was about 29K around Jan 20.

It’s 32K now.

Am I reading the chart wrong?

1 Like

Isn’t the market higher today than it was on inauguration day?

I am not sure what chart you are looking at.
The Dow is down 12% YTD

The 30 Dow stocks are very “old school” and don’t have much tech.
(No Amazon, No Google, No Facebook, No Uber
but does include IBM, Nike and Caterpillar)

They are still perhaps as good/bad an indicator of the economy as they have ever been but the market is so diversified these days
the S&P (down 20%) or
QQQ (down 32%) are more likely to represent
a typical investors’ portfolio.

Of course adjusting for inflation means adding 8% to nominal losses this year.

It’s bad. I dunno if it is “board up the house and evacuate town” bad,
but it is DEFINITELY not the right time to start putting out more vinyl furniture on the patio.

Added:
Your YTD Dow chart should look like this

1 Like

Oh - YTD, sure.

Sam said ‘since biden came into office.’

2 Likes

Just for kicks, I looked up the 5 year history on both the Dow Jones and S&P 500. I’ve got the results below, moving the cursor to January 22, 2021 to give an idea of the market close to inauguration day in 2021. Looks like the total value on both on January 22, 2021 is pretty close to the value today. The takeaway I took is that if you are properly diversifying and looking at the long term, you’re going to be ok. Just for diversification purposes, I personally leave only about 48% of my money in the stock market, so I have other assets to tide me over if the stocks take a nosedive for a while. But long term, stocks are a good asset as long as you are diversifying properly.

Dow Jones

S & P 500

Xerox . . . . never recovered from the dot.com bust,
(and it was not even an ad-driven dot.com).

5q1zw1

Voting democrats makes people poor. It’s mean!

3 Likes

The Takers think them “wonderful” however. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Only about 20% of my IRA is stocks. The Biden recession has hit all sectors of the economy.

1 Like