Staten Island Man’s Conviction Tossed

How exactly is this man identified when the shooter was described as “5’5’ and dark complected? Keystone cops actions are also a part of the story.

What were they thinking disposing a bullet before testing it? Is it any wonder the anti death penalty movement includes individuals on both liberal and conservative end of the spectrum?

1 Like

Todays leader of the GOP and for whatever passes as conservatives still wanted the death penalty for the Central Park 5 after they were cleared by DNA, took out a full page ad in The NY Times to say so.

I don’t know about the two conservatives left out there but the Republican Party is still very much pro death penalty.

You’re staunchly anti death penalty right?

Increasingly conservatives, from those of Catholic faith to those who don’t see competence in government, are embracing anti death penalty ideas.

Neither my position on the death penalty nor Trump’s position has any bearing on this thread.

Please try to keep focused.

1 Like

Welcome to the party.

Allan

1 Like

I am glad an innocent person was exonerated.

I can also support a death penalty for really bad beyond reasonable doubt convictions like Dahmer.

1 Like

There is the problem. One is only supposed to be found guilty if it is beyond reasonable doubt.

3 Likes

Well the OP was trying to paint “conservatives” (term devoid of meaning any longer but let’s go with it as a placeholder) as being as anti death penalty as liberals.

I know when Trump was in his last days of office and went on a killing spree ramming through 13 Federal executions, first ones in over 40 years, that this would cost him dearly with anti death penalty conservatives.

No, she wasn’t.

Reading comprehension is important.

No, it didn’t.

You seems to “know” lots of stupid things. :roll_eyes:

Situations like this one is the main reason I’m against the death penalty from a legal standpoint.

Morally speaking, I fully support death as a punishment for certain heinous crimes.

But legally speaking, I’m very conflicted and lean towards the anti-death penalty camp precisely because cases like this happen. I would rather let ten guilty men go free than to execute one innocent man.

“But legally speaking, I’m very conflicted and lean towards the anti death penalty camp precisely because cases like this happen.”

Me too. While I have tremendous respect for activists like Sister Helen Prejean and Sam Shepherd, Jr. who are 100% against the ultimate punishment, I find a 100% anti stance difficult.

A man like the late Alfred Bourgeois, who spent two months torturing and murdering his toddler, or someone who could be convicted beyond a reasonable doubt of espionage deserves that ultimate punishment, IMO.

2 Likes

Yes but the rub is we leave that determination up to twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Why would one want to get out of jury duty?

Plenty of reasons. The main one being not all employers will pay employees who do it and the “pay” varies depending on which court you serve on. There is no law requiring an employer to keep paying someone who is on a jury either.

https://www.juryduty101.com/juror-pay-by-state

Thanks for the clarification. That is different; employers in Australia are required to pay employees who are doing jury duty.

We now have the science of DNA that proves beyond the shadow of doubt whether someone or not is guilty. If a murderer is convicted and it’s proven beyond any doubt and it’s labeled as “heinous”…say bye Felicia. When this message gets out, the murder numbers will go down and one thing is for sure, there won’t be repeat offenders.

In this case, applying that technology, this man would never have been incarcerated. I’m glad he’s out and IMO he should be compensated by the system that convicted him.

Now? It’s been used since 1986.

More than half of the wrongful convictions have been due to government malfeasance, not lack of technology or resources.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2020/09/16/more-than-half-all-wrongful-criminal-convictions-caused-by-government-misconduct-study-finds/

Except when the DNA test has been tainted or no such DNA exists.