Starting sentences with "So"

Starting a couple of years ago, I began noticing people start topics with “So”.

“So, I got up this morning and didn’t feel well…”

It it grammatically correct? Why do people do it?
Is it a fad? Where did it come from.

Does it irritate anyone but me?

yes. it is an irritating new grammatical fixation if overused. i dont think it is grammatically incorrect, but it is used in different ways esp in here where “so” is often used by a poster to start a set-up synopsis of another poster so they can criticize it.

“so you think it’s inappropriate that Biden sneaks up behind women and touches them?”

i hear techies often use it to provide some sort of backstory context. they are usually younger.

either way, i find occasional use is fine, but overused is annoying.

This is 'merica.

So, you don’t like modern speak?

3 Likes

Language is ever evolving. People write and talk differently today than say 100 years ago and in another 100 years language will have evolved again.

With the advent of texting we saw the abbreviation of words become acceptable and email has ushered in the ago of brief paragraphs and bullet points.

The spoken and written word is constantly changing over time.

A-startin’ ayy couple ov years ago, ay done began noticing folk start topics with “so”

So,in other words things are different now?

Worse than just colloquial use of SO like described in the OP:

A common tactic in internet discussions is to respond to someone’s post by saying,

"So … (and then some twisting of words to pretend that it’s a valid conclusion to the post being responded to…) "

“So what you’re really saying is … (insert something that wasn’t said.)”

Even more underhanded is doing the “so-ing” in the form of a question so that when you’re called on it, you can say, “I didn’t say you said that. I’m asking a question…”

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me half as much as the word “like” being used every fourth word in conversations I have had with coworkers.

Cindy went to Bill’s last night and they like totally hit it off like the movies. I didn’t know what to expect but like Bill is a good man and Cindy is like so cool and they are like a totally perfect couple.

“Like” is as bad or worse than “so”. “Totally” is bad.
Hillary’s “you know” is bad.

Add the overuse of “basically” to the list.

Yep.
Basically, totally, actually, literally (when it’s not literal).

I believe the sociopath in the White House does this frequently when he tweet rages.

It must be OK then.

The Thread made it two days without the Trump obsession showing up. Not bad.

So, you’re saying that you’re not a fan of Alexandria Cortez? lol.

By the way, I told ya’ll on here that Democrat Politicians colluded with Russia.
Now Conservatives, the Conservative Media, and Trumps team are going to expose the truth about it more and more, over time.

So, just to let you know, putting it twice in a row, isn’t so grammatically
correct.

So, I wanted to stop by and just let you know. So you can possibly
correct the spelling in your thread if you wanted to.

So, I guess nobody else here caught that. lol. :wink::smirk:

Is it correct grammar to start a sentence with “it it” and not finish a sentence posing a question with a question mark?

So, we both had the same idea, but I guess I beat ya to it by a couple of seconds.
So there! lol.

By the way, I told ya’ll on here that Democrat Politicians colluded with Russia.
Now Conservatives, the Conservative Media, and Trumps team are going to expose the truth about it more and more, over time.