Some of Oregon wants to move to Idaho

What percentage?

Here’s a look at the electoral map of Oregon…I think this is from 2016.

Most of the counties in the state are red…But the insane liberals living in the population centers in Portland, Salem, and Eugene can dictate anything they want to the rest of the state.

1 Like

Yeah that’s where the people live.

2 Likes

The people living in those red counties…Those counties are ag based…Farmers and Ranchers and the businesses that support agriculture. Hard working good people who’s efforts have fed millions of people.

Here’s the kind of stupid legislation those people are facing that they are powerless to stop, because the central planners in Portland and Salem somehow think life in Burns and John Day needs to be just like life in Multnomah County.

Headline - 'Oregon initiative would ban animal slaughter, breeding". From farmprogress.com.
Oregon initiative would ban animal slaughter, breeding | Farm Progress

The legislation in question is being proposed for the ballot in 2022. " An Oregon ballot initiative proposed for 2022 would effectively criminalize the farming of food animals in the state by classifying their slaughter as aggravated abuse and redefining artificial insemination and castration as sexual assault…Initiative Petition 13, filed with Oregon elections officials in November, would remove farmer exemptions from existing laws barring animal cruelty and specifically target practices used for “(b)reeding domestic, livestock, and equine animals,” according to the text of the initiative… The proposed Abuse, Neglect, and Assault Exemption Modification and Improvement Act would delete all references to “good animal husbandry” from state statute and only allow an animal to be injured in cases of a human’s self-defense. A veterinarian’s spaying and neutering of household pets would still be exempt.

The initiative’s sponsor, a group called End Animal Cruelty, is beginning to gather the 112,000 signatures they’ll need by next summer and is working through the national progressive network ActBlue to recruit volunteers for the effort, animal activist David Michelson recently told Portland’s KBOO-FM, a donor-supported radio station.

Later in the same piece that Michelson idiot says ““If this passes,” he told KBOO, “Oregon would essentially be a sanctuary state for animals. Any animal in the state of Oregon would have their rights more or less codified in law, that they deserve a life free of abuse, neglect or sexual assault.” Michelson said the initiative wouldn’t ban animal agriculture entirely, nor would it abolish the sale of meat, leather or fur in Oregon. But livestock would have to die of natural causes before it could be used for food production, and “forced impregnation” of livestock would be outlawed, he said. Violators would face criminal prosecution.”

In other words, you’re welcome to raise livestock…But you’ll have to wait several years for your cattle to fall over from old age before you can send them on to be processed for the food chain. Not a very practical way for someone raising livestock for a living to do so profitably.

Then there’s this nonsense. I’m not sure exactly the status of all of this legislation but lefty kooks are trying to dramatically change or even ban the use of diesel fuel in Oregon. From Oregon Public Broadcasting…this story was published March 10. Fresh off a bruising climate fight, Oregon Democrats set sights on diesel emissions - OPB

" In the last week, House Democrats have unveiled big proposals to address air pollution and carbon emissions from diesel fuel in Oregon. Those bills have received blowback from Republican lawmakers and industry groups, calling to mind the dynamic that has repeatedly led Republicans to shut down the Legislature by fleeing the state…One bill, House Bill 3305, would set a staggered timeline for ending sales of diesel in the state — first in the Portland area, then throughout Oregon. Its backers hope to spur widespread use of “renewable diesel,” a product with far lower emissions that can be used in any diesel engine. They say the fuel could be an important and near-instant way for the state to cut into greenhouse gas emissions while other technologies emerge…But the state’s trucking industry and allied lawmakers strongly oppose any mandate, worrying that supply of the renewable fuel won’t be enough to meet its needs…Another proposal has appeared in the form of a major amendment to an otherwise unremarkable bill, House Bill 2674. Using what’s known as a “gut-and-stuff” amendment to completely replace the bill’s contents, state Rep. Rob Nosse, D-Portland, is proposing an array of new taxes on logging, construction and farming equipment, along with the “off-road” diesel they use. The money from the tax would be used to help swap out older diesel engines with cleaner-running models, Nosse says…The group Timber Unity, which has staged large rallies in Salem to combat bills that would hike taxes on its members, is already mounting a counter-attack.

So you can’t send your cattle to the slaughter house…You can’t use diesel to do anything in the state when diesel is the primary fuel for agriculture. The folks in those five counties and several others that are agriculturally based would have no way of making a living in Oregon if that kind of legislation were to become law, and realistically they don’t have the electoral power to convince the lunatics in the big cities to leave them alone.

If I still lived there I’d want to become part of Idaho too.

5 Likes

My former home state of Oregon…the place I grew up…

Is quickly becoming a primary example of why I sincerely believe if you want to destroy something, just let a bunch of leftists take control of it.

Oregon is a wonderful state, full of great people.

There’s nothing like the Cascades, Mount Hood, the Three Sisters, the rugged Oregon Coast.

But the Governor is a kook, the mayor of the largest city which in large swaths is starting to look more and more like a homeless camp, the people in power are dedicated leftists who’s idealogy runs their lives…

And it’s backfiring big time on a beautiful state. It breaks my heart.

2 Likes

The largest employer in Malheur is still the prison isn’t it?

A lot of this romanticized notions that ignores a lot of painful realities. Aside from them being subsidized with much cheaper than private grazing rights on Fed land, in a market where they are competing with global meat factories their product isn’t really worth that much.

Much of it all is, as always culture war anc identity politics. The identity of the independent rancher and all that versus the reality. The culture war part is, against all reason, the Trump admin removed wolves from the endangered species list and Idaho will have a hunt allowing up to 90% of wolves to be killed to protect cattle.

Yeah, wolves take cattle. Also is so far from the reason they’re struggling.

2 Likes

Unconstitutional by the way.

People who think wolves and other predators need to be reintroduced or expanded are idiots. Humans have been trying to get away from things that eat us alive for a long time, now some people want to wind that clock back. Morons. “Can we have some things that eat our children?”. Umm, no. We have the predator niche covered at least when it comes to apex predators.

3 Likes

So, IYO if you don’t live in the I5 cities you aren’t people? Sounds about right for Lib thinking.

4 Likes

I’m shocked that Medford is still Red. Californians have been flooding into that area for the last three decades.

i want to see austin,houston,dallas san antonio and the other blue areas of texas secede and for a new state. given texas has teh right to split i think its only fair that those blue areas get out from under the thumb of the far right . let them secede and watch the rest of the state wither away and die

The corollary to that would be dems nominating to join another state that would result in fewer Republican house seats and by extension EC votes.

Exactly. The loss of electoral votes in a state is huge.

Allan

1 Like

Pretty much…

All you have to do is read the comments on this forum to see how brilliant the smart guys on the left think they are. Ignorant rubes from rural America is how they see the rest of us.

I don’t think the odds of getting these counties admitted to Idaho are very good…but I support the right of the folks there to try. The people who don’t live in and around Portland, salem, and Eugene have no say in statewide policy in oregon. The same dynamic exists in Eastern Washington and Northern California. The idea of changing states is one of the few options they have to get some control back over their lives.

In a sane world the bureaucracy in salem that has alienated these people so completely would take note and try to solve the problems. I don’t expect Kate brown and company to show that kind of common sense cause…those leftists think they are the smartest folks!

Ah…victimization. Let them bootstrap themselves.

2 Likes

Zero. Lol.

Jousting windmills.

The grass is always greener syndrome…

Allan

Nah that’s only for urban residents.

Allan

Wouldn’t that be true if a lot of places? Liberals in Texas probably don’t like being dictated to by the Republicans who control all branches of govt in Texas.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it takes Congressional action.

Well, electing Trump didn’t really help your case much…