Some historical context from opposition to MLK marches in 1964

Was watching some footage from MLK and I noticed many similarities against the peaceful marches during the Birmingham campaign. I am not making a point here, but more sharing this quote. We should understand history because it definitely can help us understand our own weak spots.

On the topic of history, famous George Wallace pushed back against MLK. One of the themes we see today. I had to censor one word that is controversial today. I edited it in brackets. I will link the source for this quote. "…Despite growing conflict over race and civil rights, Wallace wrote Martin that ‘we have never had a problem in the South except in a few very isolated instances and these have been the result of outside agitators.’ Wallace asserted that ‘I personally have done more for the [Blacks] of the State of Alabama than any other individual,’ citing job creation and the salaries of black teachers in Alabama. He rationalized segregation as “best for both races,writing that ‘they each prefer their own pattern of society, their own churches and their own schools.’” History may not repeat but it sure does rhyme. Source

5 Likes

What are the similarities and to what?

I see the similarities

The current President has used this same con game.

1 Like

How is it a con game?

How was it with Wallace?

Yeah…MLK promoted violence, the burning of cities and looting? It’s like deja-vu all over again…amirite?

Oh…wait :sunglasses:

Nope he didn’t. A neither is BLM or any other activists group or individuals.

2 Likes

Nor is Trump promoting segregation.

There are many parallels between the civil rights movement Of 1960 and what is happening now. History is definitely repeating itself.

Everyone likes MLK now… but he was not very well liked in the 1960s.

1 Like

Who said he was?

I’m trying to help find the “similarities against”.

1 Like

The peaceful protests of MLK carried the threat of violence and that may have made them more effective.

Nice…

Just a fact.

I know, but nobody listens to me.

1 Like

Regarding this. I specifically tried to say I wasn’t making a point. A common theme that I have noticed in tangent when political heads speak about blacks in America have improved economically under trump. While this is true, I noticed this was the same argument used by George Wallace. I really just wanted to bring this up, not to say Trump is evil or anything not that one post could even do that, I was just noting that during a protest about police brutality and discussing economic gains for blacks doesn’t mean that you are necessarily pro black. I think it undermines what they are really fighting for and if he listened he might hear what they are trying to say. Honestly, I heard this quote while watching footage from back then, I didn’t search it out or anything. Was more that I’ve been hearing that everywhere to show how this isn’t some new civil rights movement, but a continuing one.

By search for it, I mean try to find something to say something negative. I heard it last night and immediately drew parallels

I haven’t changed. I wasn’t born with hate. I wasn’t taught to hate and I didn’t grow up hating.

It was true then too.

That is what I mean. This isn’t a protest for jobs or higher wages. If I felt the way that many blacks have discussed these last two weeks, no amount of money is worth that. George Wallace also helped blacks in job creation, but clearly he was no friend of black people and their rights. Economic improvement doesn’t justify how they feel nor should it. It’s like people think this is somehow an economic issue but its a humanity issue. Clearly there is discontent from the black community toward trump, and coming out and talking about the economic improvement, while true, also shows a lack of empathy and understanding for the reason you are there.

1 Like

You speak out of both sides of your mouth my man…but MLK didn’t. He stood firm for peaceful protests.

I watched those videos and this could not be more true. Every speech, every march, every post beating, he said he was going to march peacefully. Man that was inspiring.