So, you really want a discussion on racism?

Are you arguing that there are Muslims who are racist (as is also the case for other universalist creeds, like Buddhism or Christianity), or that Islam is racist?

Islamists

Not the point really.
Jokes are social interactions, norm setting nodes.
Racist jokes collectively support unnatural human conditions.
There was a time when cripples were the subject of jokes too.
In America we did purge ourselves for the largest part of joking about disabilities.
We are not there yet.
When a Racist Joke is felt by those listening to be just as cruel, and depraved, as those done away with cripple jokes then, we will be on our way to a better place.
Do you think the Wayans 90’s comedy skit “Handi boy” would fly today?
By the way “Handi boy” flew, in the skit.

Excellent and honest!

There are many things we laughed at. We laughed at Archie Bunker and George Jefferson. No way they’d be on TV today. That’s one of the things I’m getting at. I don’t know how old you are, but I do remember how things were in the 70s. Politicians today are being called racists ( or at least REPUBLICANS are) for things they did and said decades ago. If we applied the same standards to ourselves, how many of us could claim to not be racists?

Culture evolves

That’s because the rest of the world doesn’t practice this experiment. Countries like Japan, China, and India look at what’s happening in western countries and say “No Thanks”.

“Yet”.

It sure does.

And can De-Evolve as well.

“When a problem comes along, you can whip it!”

Yes, jokes are part of the point because many of them were based on stereotypes. If we laughed at stereotypes then, when did we stop laughing at them?

So why hold people accountable today for things they did in a past culture that hadn’t yet evolved?

It is the journey, not the destination, but we do need to be pointed in a good direction.
The word yet, signifies my hope for us all.

1 Like

Give me an example?

For example?

Your idea of “perfect”, of course.

The accusations against Trump or perhaps things he actually did, compared to the things Biden has said and actually did. Why are Republicans held accountable for wearing black face in the past when Democrats who did the same thing get a pass?

When Trump was discriminating against renting to black people, that was when that was not the accepted norm.

Why is Trump, to this day, still saying that the Central Park 5 are guilty?

People can be redeemed if they recognize their racism and stone or apologize for it. Trump hasn’t.

Which Democrat isn’t being held accountable for wearing black face? What is your definition of being held accountable?

2 Likes

Not so much sterotype but more of an unnatural state.
Racism in America seems to me to be culturally taught, though we are all bred at the same school, and church.
The joke is the place where current culture meets the road of daily existence.
Sit around a fire 6 people deep at night camping, most likely neither church nor school will come up, but collective stories will.
Some scary, some fiction, some historical, some funny.
Stories, and Jokes etc…, have always shaped human behaviour.
A die of sorts, made by man for man himself.

So Boko Haram, Malian Fulani and Chadian/Sudanese Janjaweed “Islamists” are racist?