So why wasn't there this woke/CRT movement in the 1980's or earlier?

mLK particularity galled j. Edgar Hoover.

Allan

Well he was a “commie”. Always amusing to see him reimagined by conservatives today.

And they were punished for it. And rightly so.

Now it’s celebrated and endorsed and amplified and encouraged in almost any corner of society.

1 Like

I’m specifically referring to a BLM organization.

So… you’re asking why there was no movement called Black Lives Matter before Black Lives Matter?

1 Like

“Woke” is slang that directly originates from the black nationalist movement of the 60s and 70s. It was so common that “stay woke” was a common goodbye along the lines of “be safe” in the 80s and 90s.

Like most slang appropriated by young folks on the internet that everyone thinks is new, it’s street slang that’s been around for decades.

1 Like

…and that’s what you guys are really mad about.

You don’t hold the majority viewpoints anymore.

Wrongly so-

1 Like

That’s because the BLM network was first formed in 2013 by three women who were born in 1981, 1983, and 1984.

This is kind of like asking why no one was able to buy The Art of the Deal from Amazon.com in 1984.

The FBI/CIA were still fighting the Cold War.

They were too busy trashing people who were protesting against the Vietnam War and selling weapons to Iran.

Honestly, I think it is social media, an I think the catalyst was police brutality.

Black folks were saying for years they were being treated badly by the police, but everybody bought the thin blue line/thug culture line.

But with social media they began to be able to effectively organize and share notes. Then, everybody began to carry high quality phones/video cameras and began to show proof.

We began to see that maybe they were telling the truth. From there, it is a short leap to looking for causes.

2 Likes

Because the oppression was real until 1976.

Don’t remember feminists?

Racism ended in 1976?

Systemic.

Magically ended in 1976? Huh?

Nope. '66. @PurpnGold and I agreed it took another decade to roll it out in certain areas.

Not magically at all. Took a lot of hard work.

Ummmm….

Anyways I would say the main difference in the movements then and today is that there is far greater support for anti-racism by white folks, the media and corporations. Social media and camera phones have also helped reignite the movement. The same conservative haters then are mirrored by the haters today.

Probably some of all of that. Add in not being the biggest minority anymore, everyone going to college and the taking over of the culture generators paying off.

The social justice movements of the 60s and 70s definitely changed academia at that time and that has led to greater awareness of injustice.

While I think that was a good thing, it also led to ways of talking about race that I don’t agree with. The main issue where I agree with conservatives is the focus on race based essentialism. Simply seeing race and ignoring other characteristics such as nationality, wealth and background is a bad road in my view.

1 Like