Small business earnings highest in 45 years

Ya gotta love the Month of May.
May is small business month and whatever is happening in small business gets more media attention than usual.

The story notes:

Small business earnings rose to the highest levels in at least 45 years.
The NFIB said that small business earnings were the highest in the history of its survey, which dates back to 1973, and also noted that small business optimism increased in April to a level in the top 95th percentile of its all-time average. It noted that April was the 17th consecutive month of “historically high readings.”

1 Like

Personally I see small business health as an important indicator of economic health,
not as something that should be a goal of policy.

Well we are at 3.9% unemployment. Stock market hitting double tops record highs. It’s always a big party befire the crash. Haven’t we seen this a 100 times?

I DO believe the stock market is overpriced.

But I was holding back on the low unemployment thing. Apparently unemployment is so low it is driving up wages among whatever subset of workers current small business owners seek.

One article I read indicated wage pressure has become a factor and America’s small business growth is likely to level off at current (relatively high) levels unless some part of the equation changes.

“Some part of the equation” would be upper income earners giving up the monopoly on wage growth. Funny how they’re wages ALWAYS increase but everyone else’s stagnated.

So people should become doctors ir whatever and then give away their money?

Maybe they should. But an economy, or a company, that uses that as a strategy will always fail and be replaced.

Competition is a bitch but sooner or later the batting tees and do overs in life disappear.

Engineers and auto mechanics and other people who can actually do things people want are paid more than people who can’t remember how to do their tenth grade math and work in call centers ir drive Uber.

But we are digressing from the topic a little soon.

The economy is booming.
The boom includes small businesses.
Small business profits are at historic highs and
small business loans are once again approaching what apparently is their historical high tide marks.

I said nothing of becoming a doctor and giving away all your money. But it’s funny isn’t it. There’s always an excuse for why people need to make millions a year, mire than what people make in their lifetimes. But God forbid we as a country decide to provide free community college.

I wrote
quote=“ImRightYoureWrong, post:5, topic:576, full:true”]
Some part of the equation” would be upper income earners giving up the monopoly on wage growth. Funny how they’re wages ALWAYS increase but everyone else’s stagnated.
[/quote]

And you replied
quote=“ImRightYoureWrong, post:5, topic:576, full:true”]
Some part of the equation” would be upper income earners giving up the monopoly on wage growth. Funny how they’re wages ALWAYS increase but everyone else’s stagnated.
[/quote]

IOW small business (restaurants, medical practices, dot.preneurs, auto repair shops etc.) are making money and expanding to a point they are having trouble affording new restaurant managers, nurses, IT engineers and auto mechanics.

YOU suggested highly paid employees should “give up their monopoly.”

Either you were talking about small businesses and believe skilled employees should make less so Uber drivers can make more,
OR you found good news inconvenient and changed the subject,
trolling the class envy that doctors and restaurant managers should make less so their lost wages will trickle down to burger flippers and retail clerks.

I wasn’t sure, but I did my best to give you credit and assume you weren’t trolling such a childlike worldview as a basis for policy.

Please. Try to keep up. Engage in productive conversation. If instead you hop from thread to thread touting tired old economic stuff you might as well hop from thread to thread touting gun control or the need for free childcare or the need for more people to follow Jesus.

Bump. I’ll be back tonight.