Should you be forced to go on Medicare?

If that’s what you have to tell yourself while shilling for the biggest corporate wish list. “Oh we’ll strengthen unions, that will make me feel a little better for allowing them to shed a huge part of their compensation package to workers”, as if you’ll even come close to clawing back what you allow them to dump.

I am in a union

I think that using shifting the cost of health care from the amount of hours I work to a tax basis would give great leverage to renegotiate my pension and hourly pay.

More labor in this country should be unionized.

The middle class would be much better for it.

I’m not in a union, want to compare incomes?

Not a viable solution.

Approximately 3.3 million seniors graduate ever June.

Unless you plan on expanding the defense budget by a factor of 10, where do youplan on putting all those kids?

I am solidly blue collar middle class in NYC and I own rental property.

I think that we are probably a lot closer than you think.

Nope, not if you are middle class.

Middle class in NYC.

And? Still doesn’t catch me. And that’s not even factoring in your cost of living.

My cost of living is quite low,.

Been working on it lowering it for the past twenty years. Got really cheap rent.

Plus I don’t have any children and am going to retire early. Hence the rental property.

I don’t think you understand what a guy working in the film and TV industry under a Union contract is able to make in a year.

Doesn’t matter, if you are factually calling yourself middle class, I win. I’m a one percenter.

Sorry, but unions are crap. I’m also in a union environment, but luckily I’m in Florida and do not have to pay their extortion fees. It’s my experience with this particular union that the bigger the employee is in the union, the worse the employee actually is. And this is so because the union has protected them for decades. And while JFK thought that a rising tide lifts all boats, it certainly isn’t true in this case. Because unionism is collectivism, we’re all the same in the eyes of the union, and therefore the company. More productive employees are not rewarded for their production. Any bonuses are distributed evenly among the collective. We’re all paid the same. Also, the productive is often outbid for things like shifts and vacations, because the only differentiation among the collective is seniority date. Over time, this wears down the productive, and they drop down to match their collective brethren. A true scourge to businesses, unions are.

I know one percenters.

I used to make a lot of money lighting their weddings and bar mitzvahs. A place that was $250,000 just to get in the door.

A lot of middle class think that they are one percenters… they aren’t

That is why I call myself middle class.

One percent income, just checked, yup. Am.

If you could blow a minimum of $250,000 on a party,… then props.

You win.

Are you suggesting that free market pressures don’t work in the labor market?

No, they work, but not in that way. Businesses don’t pass every gain on to employee’s. The labor markets works on what it costs to get qualified workers, not on what the total cost per worker is. If labor will work for less, they’ll happily pocket it and give it to shareholders.

So these gains won’t trickle down?

Not one to one. And neither do tax cuts.

In my industry, just about every employer would rush to raise salaries to keep the workers they have and also use it to get the workers they have been trying get…

^^^^^ Hey… at least someone is being honest about the whole trickle down thing ^^^^^