Should we take both vaccine shots?

He had to get something right. And delivering the Vaccine in a timely manner was something he definitely look back and say I accomplished something as president.

Allan

I’m worried about the new strain as well. In which now the partner of Pfizer (BioNTech) is testing whether or not the current vaccine is effective against the new strain in the UK. The virus needs to be stopped before it starts mutating more who knows how many times. Imho before another Great Depression sets in. One massive sell off in the market like in March could be the catalyst for something very bad.

The more people vaccinated the more people less likely to get infected and be a carrier and give it to others.

The new strain isn’t actually new. It’s been around since september.

Allan

The entire outbreak is “new”, September is fresh.

We didn’t even get the genome for the original virus until January 2020, less than 12 months ago.

Maybe your correct but the partner for Pfizer is checking to see if the current vaccine will still work on it which I hope it does obviously.

I like the way you are thinking. 21 days apart. What happens at 22 days? Or 32? Or 182?

I am leaning toward focusing on the first shot for as many of the high risk group as possible. Then do the 2nd shot. Maybe exceptions for some groups - like the healthcare providers directly dealing with COVID patients go ahead and get their 2nd one on time.

Interesting thread and good question.

1 Like

I’ll take mine as soon as I can get it, but I suppose it won’t be anytime soon. My youngest brother gets his first shot tomorrow, but he’s a doc working mostly with older folks. One of my sister’s-in-law, a heath care worker, had her first shot this morning.

This is not true. Moderna is a two shot dose…28 days apart…It is true there are very little side effects reported with the first shot. But it is the second shot that induces much more of the side effects. The side effects come on hard with the second shot. Moderna is and always was a two shot deal.

Just so you are aware.

By the middle of this year, there should be so much vaccine available, you will be sick of hearing about it.

J&J should be next, then hopefully Astra Zenica (no cribbing now guys)…followed by about 5 others that should roll out soon.

However, this good to know in case you can’t schedule shot two for some reason.

I am in the category 1c (essential telecommunications worker)

So just a little while longer for me.

Allan

I will. So should you. This is an equal opportunity virus/vaccine with no political affiliation. But if you are willing to die for your convictions, go for it.

Keep in mind, the Pfizer vaccine had no known serious side when it was approved either. The allergic reactions didn’t show up until after it was administered to the public. There is no solid reason to believe the Moderna vaccine won’t have similar incidents … most vaccines do.

The vaccine doesn’t attack the virus, it replicates the mechanism of infection so that the receptors in your body are no longer available for the virus to attach to. As long as the virus keeps it’s form (specifically the spikes that cover its surface which it uses to attach to your cells) the vaccine will work. In fact, it should work for any corona virus … they may have just created the vaccine to stop the common cold. (Expect for that illness not caused by corona viruses.)

I think the Pfizer vaccine is only around 54% effective with one dose, so a two dose regimen is certainly needed there. I have seen some better data on one shot Moderna responses.

I got my Pfizer vaccination today, feel fine and looking forward to getting the second one.

3 Likes

Actually the vaccine codes for the spike protein of COVID, causes your cells to generate the spike proteins and induces an immune response to the spike. It doesn’t change the receptors nor block those receptors to future infection. Enzymes in the cells break down the mRNA to prevent it from continuing to code for spike proteins.

It trains the immune system to recognize COVID when you get infected.

It doesn’t prevent your receptors from accepting COVID and it is specific for the spike protein for COVID. It may provide some cross-immunity to other coronaviruses, but their spike proteins aren’t the same so no, it won’t be a vaccine for coronaviruses that cause some colds (those viruses don’t all bind to the same receptors anyway).

The new COVID variant supposedly does have some mutations in the coding region for the spike protein, but scientists don’t think it’s enough to change the spike so much that the vaccine won’t be effective against it.

1 Like

Oh and btw, despite all the hype, scientists do not yet know if the new variant is more contagious, or else the new variant was simply enhanced in the population because there were more superspreader events.

Which is why I wish the media would stop talking about it like we know for sure.

This is what I recall as well. I seem to remember it being 52% after one shot. So 54% is a lot closer to what I remember. Not 82%. I remember this because I recall them saying they were very happy it was over 50% after the first shot.

Nobody cares. It’s a personal decision. Do what you want.

Ask your doctor. If she recommends both shots, then get both. If she does not, then don’t.

Same here. It’s a serious disease.