Should we destroy the history that we don't like?

The history was not destroyed. It was moved to a museum. Which apparently will now get tens of thousands of black families visiting in order to commemorate their ancestors at a slave auction block.

8 Likes

Do you think Jewish families who visit concentration camps or Ann Frank’s house are commemorating the Holocaust?

5 Likes

We have a memorial up here at Black Rock, which marks the final destination of the underground railroad before crossing the river to Canada. They constructed a number of plaques detailing the harrowing escape of slaves from their hunters and the names of those individuals who successfully made the cross. It’s a monument to hope. I’m not sure what feelings a slave block or confederate statue is supposed to convey to me.

3 Likes

You would have a point if tens of thousands of black families were actually treating this site as hallowed ground and a monument to their ancestors.

2 Likes

If they wanted that ■■■■ taken down or moved, would you be there to lecture them about why they shouldn’t?

2 Likes

I’d just have found it rather uncouth to have invited my black wedding guests to a plantation to celebrate. Seems weird. It might just be a me thing.

Bad Call!
I don’t know enough on this stone, but if it is really the stone, and the spot, it is National Historical Heritage stuff, no doubt. What a tangible time machine. If that stone could speak; and it does, and no doubt is why it was removed, it’s voice.
Those, our, slave markets were public events, this stone, if moved should be put back quickly.

Does the left have any other talking points except race and racism?

2 Likes

Would it also make sense to you to knock down Auschwitz and take the artifacts to a museum? Did you know that you don’t have to agree with every stupid woke idea?

If Jews wanted to knock that ■■■■ down, you would be there to tell them the correct way to feel about the holocaust?

4 Likes

You should be sad that if a black family goes to the spot to see were their ancestors were sold, the artifacts were removed because woke white liberals had a fit. It’s just stupid. Maybe they should burn the box in Ford’s theater because Lincoln was shot there?

So would you also be infavor if taking a wrecking ball to Auschwitz?

My ancestors weren’t subjected to the holocaust and I’m not arrogant enough to tell them why they should or shouldn’t knock down Auschwitz.

3 Likes

None of that has to be true for them to visit it, any more than the Jewish people I mentioned going to a concentration camp. That said, if it is to be displayed, it should be in conjunction with educational information about why slavery was wrong and how many people it destroyed. And I would almost bet it was.

I stated that stone was used for open public selling of human beings.
It should remain public, I feel.

Why? Why the hell is it less offensive in a museum than in the actual historic place where it happened? What’s in it’s place? A plaque describing what used to be there? Rather than the real thing? How stupid is that? Is there any of you who have not been completely indoctrinated by wokeness? Nobody has any independent thought?

The very nature of that stone, it’s “raison d’etre” was for public purpose, and viewing; viewing of property in the form of fellow human beings.
It should remain that way, in publc, viewed.

Thank you. Why disturb things that are necessary for historic purposes?

The major opposition to its movement is from the property owner across the street concerned with declining foot traffic.

Great look here at municipal government in sloth-like action.

I don’t know what to tell you - is it so unreasonable to think that maybe black people don’t want to see a slave block on their way to and from work every day?

If I want to see Auschwitz, I have to go out of my way to see Auschwitz.

The community decided. Go ask a black person from Fredericksburg what they think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fredericksburg/comments/gx3hp7/slave_auction_block_has_been_removed/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

An annoyong block on a street corner?

I wonder who first chopped the trees in the forest right there, then after graded that chopped forest into it’s first a dirt road, then eventually that dirt road into that street?
I wonder who’s lives were extinguished due to the immense labor involved with founding, and growing a city like that?