Shooter reported at Texas high school

So that’s your conclusion … the NRA s the bogeyman. Brilliant.

They are less available now than they have ever been. Why didn’t school kids routinely shoot each other back in the day when it was normal to bring guns to school?

1 Like

How about we just cut to the quick and denounce people that kill other people rather than mess around posturing against people who have nothing to do with the killings?

1 Like

That’s nonsense. When I was 16, I walked into a sporting goods store and bought a high powered rifle no questions asked. We could buy surplus Lugers and other guns from ads in magazines through the mail with no background check. And bringing a gun to school or work was common … no big deal. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

Locking up a gun before it has gone out and hurt or killed someone is prior restraint. That’s unconstitutional, right?

Yet here you are trying to make a point.

Good question, but you just as well could ask, how many times has your smoke alarm alerted you to a fire in your house? Or how many times have you used one of your fire extinguishers to put a fire out in your house? You do not actually have to have protected yourself and or your family to justify being prepared to do so.

1 Like

22? Is that counting the kid who pointed his finger at a fellow student and said “bang”?

Not without going through an FFL.

You can also buy one from the trunk of Joe’s car in the alley behind the bowling allly, but it’s not legal.

You haven’t been “right” since you started.

You cannot legally purchase a firearm directly over the net.

Either it requires you picking it up from an FFL holder it has been shipped to or you have to pick it up face to face.

In the case of a handgun if it crosses state lines it MUST go through an FFL period.

here are just a few SINCE the slaughter at the Texas school…

• Police: Father in Summit County (OH) shot son in the leg

• Police investigating report of gunfire in southeast Vancouver (WA)

• Police probe gunfire in Lowell’s Highlands (MA)

• 3 students arrested after gun passed around at Lebanon High School (OR)

• Troopers: Shooting in Clay County (KY), one person dead

• Two hurt in shooting at gas station in Cleveland’s Central neighborhood

• Man arrives at hospital with two gunshot wounds to back (Las Vegas)

There are many more. Google if you want to see them.

The AR doesn’t “get off shots” Allan, the shooter does. The type of gun doesn’t make my finger move faster.

“Win this one”? Allan, I’m not trying to beat you, I’m trying to get you to think.

"On Friday, as a small Texas town grappled with the deaths of 10 of their own, a sketchy profile of another violent young man came to the fore, the disturbing details of his life blurring with those of the school gunmen of the past.

• “Born to Kill” appeared on a T-shirt he posted on his Facebook page, along with images of the trench coat and an explanation of its decorations.
  • Mr. Abbott said that the gunman had used a shotgun and .38 revolver, both of which appeared to be obtained from the suspect’s father, who legally owned them.
  • Mr. Pagourtzis had no known confrontations with law enforcement, Mr. Abbott added. “As far as having a criminal history, he has none. His slate is pretty clean.”
  • He made the honor roll. He played defensive tackle on a school football team that was the pride of the town. His family was involved in the Greek Orthodox Church.
  • “There was a girl on the ground,” Mr. Muehe said, “and he shot her in the head one or two times.”

One note. In a thread on the old board someone posted something like “football players are going around shooting people”.

How many of these murderers was on a sports team?

"Substitute teacher Ann Perkins was killed in the shooting. According to those who knew her, she was a beloved teacher and was well-loved in the community, CBS Dallas / Fort Worth reports.

Students and other members of the Santa Fe community posted tributes to “Grandma Perkins,” as they referred to her."

So what are your thoughts?

You see…you take something real and quickly spin it into something political. This is apolitical and more of a cultural problem. Approaching it applying your attitude just kicks the can down the road while it continues to exacerbate. IOW…your attitude is a part of the problem. There are three parts to solving any problem and the first step is to recognize it.

Wild Rose you make honest and compelling arguments. And I understand each point you make. And I dont disagree.

As a gun owner how do you feel about gun locks or trigger locks with a finger print mechanism? Do you think that slows you down too much in accessing your weapon in an emergent situation? I own a couple of rifles…i do not have a handgun but if I did with kids in my house I’d utilize one of these locks…but that’s my thinking. I’m just trying to engage in conversation to see where if any compromise can be made.

You talk about how you were raised…and that’s awesome. My dad and his brother made sure I learned to respect guns of all types. My uncle who was an FBI agent taught me to shoot safely and responsibly when I was 10. My children, if I owned a handgun would be my priority. Their safety would come first.

As an owner what method do you use to safeguard your fire arms?

I ask because I believe that is on key issue.

You asked earlier, what law I thought could prevent this…a federal law that says if you own a gun and you have children under 20…you are required to have a trigger lock on the weapon at all times when not in use or bolstered on your person. Isn’t that common sense.

I mean you talk about how quick you are at shooting a full load and reloading…how much time would it take to unlock a fingerprint lock and start shooting an already loaded hand gun? Two three seconds?

For me it’s a non question. It would have a lock.

The roadblock you’re gonna run into is people will say that the government has no right to tell them that or slow them down by one millisecond.

It’s part of the reason there is no answer. Common sense plays no role in this.