Shooter reported at Texas high school

I can only wish that people would be dumb enough to take this advice.

Horse hockey. 40 years ago you could get any gun legally available in the US delivered to your local FFL dealer within a week. Today, it’s sped up to about 3-4 days.

As always you are clueless as to firearms.

40 years ago there wasn’t even a background check requirement for firearms purchased through an FFL.

70 years ago Sears was the largest retail outlet in the world and you could buy any gun you wanted at the local hardware or general store.

At 23 if he wants a gun he can go and buy his own.

Someone steals your keys, takes your car and kills someone with it. Should you be liable for vehicular homicide?

That lie has been discredited in every way possible again and again so why do you folks keep repeating it?

What is pointless is thinking that attacking the rights of the law abiding gun owners of the US is an answer to this problem.

Like always this problem started at home and festered at school until today when it finally burst like an abscess.

This was not a crime of passion that happened in an instant, there was a long period of preparation and planning by the shooter here and we’re already seeing that this is another case where in retrospect people looking at him today are seeing prior warning signs.

Where were the parents? Were they present in his life at all or did they just share the same address?

How can a kid go this wrong without the parents seeing them devolving to the point they are willing to act out in such a way?

Is it even possible that the parents could not see a serious problem indicated by his behavior?

This isn’t a federal problem it is a family problem and a societal problem. Kids today have become so self centered, so filled with phoney self esteem and given no moral compass whatsoever. In spite of the fact we are more connected today by mass communications we see again and again that these kids in reality are so Isolated. and alone emotionally and psychologically they are disconnected from reality.

Instead of spending their time fact to face with other kids learning boundaries and social skills they largely live fantasy lives online

Instead of learning that hard work and dedication result in rewards, they expect to simply be given what they want and never learn to deal with failure and setbacks.

I sit here watching TV all of of these talking head idiots decrying that this or that gun control measure has yet to pass and calling the congress and president negligent and responsible yet none of the proposed bills and demanded controls would have prevented this shooting or reduced the the number or types of casualties in any way.

Until we stop demonizing the gun and start being honest about the real problem nothing is going to change.

As a society we have devalued life, unraveled the basic morality that took 40,000 plus years to develop and as a result we were producing generation after generation of self important, entitled narcissistic sociopaths and inevitably some of them reach a point of no return and go off like a ticking time bomb.

The frequency is irrelevant. You will only need a gun once and not have it.

How many fire extinguishers do you own? How often have you had to use one?

We keep hearing that there are just “too many guns” but in reality we have less than 1% of the population carrying or otherwise having ready access to a defensive firearm at any given time which makes it pretty hard to have someone who is armed, prepared, competent, and willing to intercede when something like this happens.

In this case the first officer apparently engaged the shooter within 3 minutes of his spree beginning but even with a single shot firearm 3 minutes is enough time for someone who is competent to get off 30-50 aimed shots.

From the descriptions I’ve heard coming from kids who were witnesses this kid was carrying some sort of double barreled shotgun (described as "sawed off shotgun) and a revolver.

This simply confirms what many like myself have been saying for decades that you don’t need an AR/AK or anything similar to inflict double digit casualty numbers when shooting up a school, mall, church, etc full of unarmed women and kids.

I can promise you though that if you asked any of the officers involved, particularly the two who were wounded that given a choice they would most certainly have preferred to be engaging the shooter with a rifle instead of sidearms.

It is in a fight that having such a gun makes all the difference in the world.

That is simply a lie. Every purchase over the internet requires you showing up face to face for a direct physical handoff of the firearm from buyer to seller or from buyer to the FFL it is shipped to.

In the case of the latter every such purchase also requires a background check.

The overwhelming majority of gun owners will never find themselves in a situation requiring the defensive use of a firearm.

As we see again and again though you never know when or where such an event will take place and if you aren’t armed when such a situation arises you are just a victim in waiting.

The way I was raised part of being a responsible member of society is being prepared to step up in your own defense or the defense of others should the need arises. We were taught to call the police when the emergency was over, not to run and hide, or simply pray that the cops will magically appear and save you when things go bad.

In reality from the time things start to go bad you have a matter of seconds to assess, formulate a plan and react in most cases.

Average police response time in the US is 7-11 minutes from the time you initiate the call.

In a case like this where you have a dedicated attacker targeting a school you literally have less than a minute to respond and stop the shooter before casualties start getting into double digits.

The shooter in this case had a revolver and his dad’s shotgun.

You are engaging in friendly fire. You’d be a lot better off asking questions and learning. I know you mean well but you are definitely lashing out in the wrong direction here.

Anything? That’s not what I said now is it?
Keep up the dishonesty.

Then stop posting

And how many shots could an ar-15 get off in those 2 seconds.

Lol. Sneaky. You are not going to win this argument.

Allan

You aren’t making an argument, you’re making a fool of yourself. If you run an AR as hard as it can be done with hundred round drum mag’s it will start to fail in less than 2 minutes and you’re not going to be able to shoot it well enough to aim at anything.

My timed splits with a handgun run between .17-.25 sec/shot with accurately aimed fire. About .30 with a revolver.

That’s 3-5 aimed shots per send with a semi auto and 2-3 with a revolver and I’m a long way from being exceptional with a handgun.

I tend to hit what I’m shooting at with great effect but there are a hell of a lot of guys and gal’s out there that are considerably faster.

Start watching at about 3:clock1030:
2017 IDPA Nationals - YouTube

These are some pretty good shooters.

ish[quote=“RTchoke, post:230, topic:918, full:true”]

This is one of the reasons I think everyone should have been required to keep their old screen name. :stuck_out_tongue:

Some are now just being ■■■■■■■■ because they can hide behind a new name.
[/quote]

Ish … !