Seven Store Chains who've announced 1000's of store closing (First 3 months of 2024)

I suddenly feel dirty for having all these digital games. Perhaps it’s time for a Retroarch-fitted Steam Deck to rule them all. :rofl:

1 Like

You shut your keyboard. Crazy talk!

2 Likes

Yes they changed the way they shopped they used to use money :slight_smile:

In all seriousness yes they have other issues as well but rampant shoplifting imho shouldn’t be a political matter we should all want it prosecuted in the end if stores start closing down it hurts us all.

2 Likes

Can’t completely blame e-commerce.

FIRST because e-commerce has been around a while and seven chains did not do this last year, the year before etc.

SECOND even including e-commerce, US retail shopping is down 3.4%.

It might not be Biden’s fault, but it sure as heck is not a sudden super big upsurge in e-shopping, right?

Agreed 100%, shoplifting is not a victimless crime, we all end up paying for it.

My brother got arrested for shoplifting when he was a kid, police called my mum and dad and they said to throw him in a cell for a few hours. He was petrified and when mum and dad got him home he wanted to be back in the cell LOL.

He never shoplifted again. I know its anecdotal and we all have a thousand stories like this but that approach worked.

2 Likes

Maybe people are spending their money on experiences and not things. That’s what I do now and definitely is what my 20 something daughter does.

The younger generation is not into “shopping” like we were back in the day.

When you go online to get what you need, you have more time for non shopping experiences.

When you go online to get what you need, you don’t fall prey to overspending on things one never meant to buy in the first place. More dollars for non shopping experiences.

1 Like

That one makes zero sense, given that there’s been an increased push for physical media of late. They really could have set themselves apart as a retailer.

From collectors maybe but with so many movies available on streaming and even the cheapest TVs having smart tv capability I suspect its not going to provide Best Buy with the ROI.

They have crunched the numbers so if they are getting out of the physical market its because the sales are not there.

But I will still buy special edition Blu-Rays or video games so maybe there is a market.

1 Like

Ha I do that. Best Buy used to do price match as long as the site was not a subscription or the cost of the item online was not a sale price. No idea if they still do that.

1 Like

my mall (rockaway) is dying a slow and painful death.

last time i was there, the stores were dead. and no people, no cars in the lot, no nothing.

Allan

The thugs will just rip off the Amazon, Fed Ex, UPS trucks, etc. The libs in power will do nothing about it.

1 Like

Does part time qualify for insurance and other benefits that come with full time? There’s more to this story and I’ll wager when the dust clears, our government is the primary problem.

2 Likes

The broader (correct) context is like @tnt said

There is a lot of room for finger=pointing within that broad context,
but he is essentially correct.

I’ll add that what would be crazy at this juncture would be

• to blame corporations (especially the stores themselves)
    or to
  • falsely tell Americans “the economy is great there is no storm in sight please spend spend spend and do nothing to protect your families.”

Doing either of those things would be crazy.