Senator Sinema kills filibuster change

Again, we aren’t talking about the likelihood of getting sick, we are talking about determining eligibility for limited medical treatments.

2 Likes

My example with prostate cancer still stands.

If metrics show my race contributes to higher risk factors that require treatment… is it racist to use that as a risk factor?

Your example is not pertinent.

1 Like

I asked this

You might want to compare that to the statement in the policy. They are not remotely the same thing.

“Non-white race or Hispanic/Latino ethnicity should be considered a risk factor, as long-standing systemic health and social inequities have contributed to an increased risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19,”

1 Like

Oh, and there is also this:

“NYSDOH is instructing health care providers to consider an individual’s health-based risk factors when providing this treatment, and has requested additional doses from the federal government because of the limited supply at this time.

In other words, the possibility of treatment being withheld IS a posdibility.

That’s a risk factor. I assume they have metrics to backup their claim.

Should we disregard a risk factor of race if it is actually a risk factor?

Risk factors

Plural. More than one. Race happens to be one because they seem to have data showing that race is a risk factor.

If their data is correct, so you still think it is racist to consider it a risk factor?

One thing that is ignored is that it’s not only Manchin and Sinema in the democratic party not wanting to nuke the fillibuster. Mark Kelly, Jon Tester, and Jeanne Shaheen also seem skeptical at best from the articles I have seen. Kelly has a likely tough election coming up in 2022.

2 Likes

You’re still confusing risk factor with eligibility for treatment when medical resources are in short supply. Those are two different issues. Treatment should be provided solely on severity of the need regardless of race when treatment resources are limited. That’s what triaj is all about.

2 Likes

It’s racist to withhold or provide treatment based on race rather than condition. Period.

Enough of this. Lets get back to the topic.

3 Likes

Well good thing they aren’t doing that, nor does their policy say such a thing. Using race as a Risk factor to determine medical need is not new. Nor is it racist.

Glad we cleared that up.

You’re correct, that isn’t happening. What is happening is that race is being considered as a triage criteria.

1 Like

For a respiratory virus? I’d like to see an example of race being used this way in anything other than sickle cell.

With this justification? I’d like to see that too.

What this is is a combat medic on the battlefield with two patients. He can only treat one at a time. He is told to consider race when making his choice.

It’s a respiratory virus.

For about three in four (77.4%) African-American smokers, the usual cigarette is menthol, over three times the rate as among whites (23.0%).3 The menthol in cigarettes has been found to make it both easier to start smoking4 and harder to quit.5

Link

I’ve got two patients, both smokers. One white, one black. One dose available. Do I consider that race-based factor above and give it to the white guy?

This is a very slippery slope to start playing with. It’s also another attempt to level outcomes by using race.

But mostly, it’s political pandering.

1 Like

What physiological characteristic does a black person have today as a result of “historical inequity of healthcare based on institutional racism” that causes them to be more susceptible to COVID?

Medical Affirmative Action.

A weighting. A preference-ing. Based on race.

1 Like

I gave one already… prostate cancer.

Here is one.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1459591738809622532

3 Likes

What?

Source?