Senate To Write New Law To Protect Present & Future Special Counsels?

This seems a bit extreme, changing the law based solely on what people think Trump might do?

Senate panel will vote on bill to protect Mueller despite McConnell’s opposition

Where there are issues of national importance, such as the appointment of special counsels and the investigation of a sitting president, Congress must consider its constitutional role and act to make sure that it can avail itself of its traditional checks against the executive branch," Grassley said.

We just heard that the DAG told the president he is not targeted under the Mueller investigation, and yet that is the justification Grassly uses.

Rosenstein Told Trump He’s Not a Target in Mueller Probe, Sources Say

Basing things on what Trump may do or may have done seems to be the new norm.

i’ve never understood how a president could fire anyone investigating HIM for possible wrong doing. just think if we all had that power. mafia bosses would be ruling this country if they could.

and what makes it worse is the president has to factor in which side congress is on when firing a special counsel (his party = probably get away with it, the other party = probably not). it makes ZERO sense.

The Special Counsel makes little sense unless you intend to overthrow the peoples will. Better to wait for the next election to get rid of a President you don’t want. But no the losers can’t wait they need to make up garbage, we need congressional term limits similar to what we have for the Presidency.:sunglasses:

yeah, how cool would it be if any of us could just break the law, have someone start investigating us and then either fire them or say “hey, wait for three years and then fire me/don’t elect me”. that’d be a sweet deal.

If we believe recent reports, Rosentein says the president is not being investigated.

If the will of the people is to elect a horrible individual who surrounds himself with money launderers, frauds, and foreign agents, perhaps it should be overthrown.

Besides, the Senate is trying to claim they need to write a new law for this, as Grassley states:

"Where there are issues of national importance, such as the appointment of special counsels and the investigation of a sitting president, Congress must consider its constitutional role and act to make sure that it can avail itself of its traditional checks against the executive branch," Grassley said.

The US Constitution already grants Congress the power of impeachment, to address "traditional checks against " a rogue president.

It’s not just what Trump might do. It’s what any future president might do.

Besides, we have all kinds of laws prohibiting what people might do.

IMO, they tell him things like that so he doesn’t get upset. They are afraid of what a more unhinged Trump would do.

Which is why the congress has the power of impeachment.

The Congress is just being lazy, once again. They don’t want to go thru the unpopular task of doing their jobs and impeaching a rogue president.

As if the Orange Haired clown would sign it…

Take a look at Congress.

Guess you are not a Dem.

I don’t believe in Congressional term limits. I don’t want the Government telling me that I can no longer vote for a Congressman or Senator that I like having.

that’s always been my issue. who is the federal government to tell Texans who they can NOT have represent them?

What law was broken?

That’s a good argument. however, the incumbents in the US Congress have a huge advantage.

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/incumbs.php

The Incumbent Advantage

Something like 95% of all incumbents get reelected each year. with the single digit approval rating these legislators receive, they are not getting reelected because 95% of the people approve of the job they are doing.

They get elected because the odds are stacked highly in their favor.

Good luck in getting answer from him other then obstructionism when he fired Comey.