Senate Report on Russian Disinformation and Goals

I saw there was a thread on this earlier, but it looks like it was deleted. Anyway, it’s probably worth discussing the goals and strategies used. Here are a couple of takeways of note, but there are others, as well:

What is clear is that all of the messaging clearly sought to benefit the Republican Party — and specifically Donald Trump,” the report says. “Trump is mentioned most in campaigns targeting conservatives and right-wing voters, where the messaging encouraged these groups to support his campaign. The main groups that could challenge Trump were then provided messaging that sought to confuse, distract and ultimately discourage members from voting.”

The Russians aimed particular energy at activating conservatives on issues such as gun rights and immigration, while sapping the political clout of left-leaning African American voters by undermining their faith in elections and spreading misleading information about how to vote. Many other groups — Latinos, Muslims, Christians, gay men and women, liberals, Southerners, veterans — got at least some attention from Russians operating thousands of social media accounts.
LINK

This jibes with other analyses of the election, as well. So why do people think the Russian plan sought to activate conservatives and support Donald Trump, while suppressing or undermining liberal and Democratic constituencies? Or is all this just a bunch of Deep State propaganda, aimed at attacking Russia and undermining President Trump?

1 Like

Have you read Russian Roulette yet?

I own it, but I haven’t read it.

I was curious to see what the response to this report was, though.

Fake news…Dem collusion! Trump is cool! Lock her up!

Do you think I have it covered?

Didnt really need a report to point out the obvious

[eta:] Hold on, was thinking of a different book … will find name of that one.
I haven’t read it, but have heard the author interviewed at length a couple of times, 2nd time was last night. It comes across as very compelling evidence that the Russian propaganda and hacked email releases had a determining affect. Also compelling evidence that our own media, such as Fox News, played a key role through the uncritical acceptance of the disinformation as legit.

I just read it a couple weeks ago and it is damning. When you see the totality it’s insane.

1 Like

It’s hannity.com. So . . . maybe we do? :slight_smile:

Remember, we mostly argue about reality here, not politics. So establishing consensus about the former is important.

4 Likes

Good luck with that with his supporters…I’d rather try to catch a flock of chickens than convince those people of anything.

1 Like

I will read it over holiday break.
This is the book I was thinking of; have heard the author interviewed at length. Going to read this one too:

#“Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President What We Don’t, Can’t, and Do Know” - Jamieson, Kathleen Hall.

Look. Everyone. Listen up. Fake news. No collusion. No Russians. The real Russian collusion was between Putin and Clinton. Everyone knows that Putin loves the Clintons. Do you think Uranium One is just a coincidence? They give her husband millions of dollars in their speeches. Russia loves money laundering. Believe me. So Clinton is understandable in the pockets of Russia, China and Saudi Arabia. We need a more honest report, and it is not. Where is the real news? Sad.

Hey, I do what I can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, Those Russians are the best negative campaigners in history… A few facebook ads wiped out two billion in ads spent against Trump…

That what the left has been trained by TV to believe,

2 Likes

We don’t know if they are, or it did.

Can you answer the explicit question in the OP?

So why do you think the Russian plan sought to activate conservatives and support Donald Trump, while suppressing or undermining liberal and Democratic constituencies?

You are trying to say that African Americans can’t think on their own or can be convinced not to vote because of social media? You apparently have a low opinion of African Americans.

Oh, the Washington post… LMAO!

Maybe the OP can tell us how intelligent people can be tricked into not voting through a few social media ads.

Instead of telling me what I am trying to say or playing Calvinball, why not just answer the question I asked in the first post, the premise of which is established by the report?

So why do you think the Russian plan sought to activate conservatives and support Donald Trump, while suppressing or undermining liberal and Democratic constituencies?

If you can’t, or don’t want to, that’s fine, too.

6 Likes

My question was about the goals and aims of the Russian disinformation campaign. I didn’t make any claim about intelligent people being tricked into anything. Answer the question, or . . . don’t.

They’re simply quoting the Senate report. Do you think they’re just making up this report?