Senate Majority Leader McConnell supports bill to stop zero tolerance

Probably didn’t hurt that his opponent in November pulled together a couple thousand people to march in Tornillo, Texas with about 24 hours notice. On a Sunday, Fathers Day… PS: Tornillo is an 8.5 hour drive from Dallas…

1 Like

:clap: Very good. Hope it moves.

Ted Cruz is a spineless little weasel.

But that bill is absolutely 100% fine with me. There is absolutely no reason not to support and pass that.

1 Like

Oh sure, there likely is a political motivation too. He’s up for reelection, although Cornyn is not.

But I doubt it’s his only reason. In his press conference he seemed genuinely disturbed with what is going on… some of it in his home state.

Just more of that eleventy dimensional genius keeping the haters off balance.

1 Like

So what’s a “no zero tolerance” bill going to look like? If you cross with a child are you home free? Sounds like a bill to promote kidnapping.

This link explains it:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/ted-cruz-emergency-legislation-to-end-family-separation/

If you are going to mandate immediate processing you are going to have to provide a lot of additional funding for the extra judges etc.
And it wouldn’t happen overnight.

Yep. It’s officially called the Cruz/Cornyn Pro-Kidnapping Amendment. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Looks good. Again, it wouldn’t happen overnight.

As @Joanne mentioned, Hatch and perhaps a few others are going to ask that the current system be temporarily halted, to allow the legislation time to pass and implement.

Seems the Democrat’s bill is crap, so maybe this one will do. Better hope they get a veto proof majority (they should).

Correct, Hatch was working on that. No one expects it to happen overnight.

I haven’t been able to find anything about Schumer or other Ds and if they will support this. Would be crazy not to.

And speaking of crazy, there are some people comparing this to the Japanese internment camps and even the Nazis. That is so ridiculous and needs to stop.

1 Like

The Japanese were treated better.

If I am not mistaken, Feinstein was working with Cruz and Cornyn on this, so it appears the Democrats are on board here.

And yes, the overblown hyperbole on all sides of this debate have done the discussion no favors. The internment camp nonsense. Nazi’s and the holocaust. Really? But the same is true for some on the right who have suggested that this is like summer camp for these kids, or that they are child actors reading prepared scripts for the media.

The asylum portion is a poison pill. It would bring the grant rate to 0%. There’s no practical way they would be able to interview and review asylum cases in under 14 days with this load. Therefore, automatic deportation. Cruz knows this.

The D bill is DOA, because it just essentially allows a return to catch and release.

And I’m terrible at predicting things, but my guess is if this passed by a huge margin, and it definitely should, Trump will do a complete about face and throw his DHS secretary under the bus.

If only there was a bill already introduced that specifically addresses this issue and only this issue that the GOP could get on board with.

1 Like

There is no reason why a continuance could not be granted after the person showed just cause as to why they should be granted asylum.

Well, no reason…other than what he’s saying the bill will do:

Provide for expedited processing and review of asylum cases, so that—within 14 days—those who meet the legal standards will be granted asylum, and those who do not will be immediately returned to their home countries.

If they are not granted asylum within 14 days, they are deported. That’s fantasy land processing aspirations.