Senate Class of 2020 & National Emergency

.>
So in the 2018 mid-terms, there were 33 seats up in the Senate race. The GOP had 9 seats up and the DEMs (including the 2 independents that cacus with them) had the rest.

That metric filps in the 2020 race with the GOP having almost twice as many seats up as the DEMs.
So the point of discussion is how will Trumps National Emergency declaration in an attempt to bypass the “power of the purse” expressly given to Congress influence the election given that the House will likely quickly pass a Concurrent Resolution (Joint Resolution) on which the Senate will be required to vote.
(FYI - Under the law the Senate is required to vote on such an action and McConnell cannot pocket it like his did with the Garland nomination and if I remember correctly they have to vote within 3 weeks of receiving it. It cannot be filibustered and it only requires a simply majority to pass.)
.^^^^

.^

For those that need it here is the National Emergencies Act, Sect 202 covers Congress overturning a Presidential National Emergency and to voting requirements.
.^^^^

IMO…illegal immigration has gone on for decades and been ignored by both sides of the aisle…evenly. All politicians are to be blamed for not correcting this easily correctable problem. I am politically against all of those who attempt to block the securing of our southern border and a vote…will clearly show where everyone stands. I also believe there are many, many more who are as fed up as I am and will also be watching so that they can cast their votes accordingly in the upcoming elections.

1 Like

Just to be clear, securing the border and building a wall are two different things.

But this thread is about the impact of the National Emergency and the upcoming JR that the Senate will have to vote on and it’s possible impact on McConnell and the 2020 Senate elections.

Thank you for your consideration of that desire.
.^^^^

4 Likes

I agree that the wall isn’t an end all fix but it’s an integral part of the necessary fix…since…our government can’t be depended on to enforce the laws with employers.

One would thing that Americans would vote out a party if they so blatantly ignored our constitution and declared (and supported) a national emergency just to get what they want “faster” (and the president admitting such).

I think this is a nightmare that McConnell didn’t want come to reality.

IMHO, in no way does McConnell want the 2020 class voting on the issue on the record. The law says it can by passed with the yeas and nays (voice vote) but an objection to that means a recorded individual vote.

McConnell doesn’t want Senators on the record.
.^^^^

2 Likes

Yeah

And how friggin sad is it that the leader of the Senate doesn’t want senators to have to stand up and vote on a national emergency.

That’s chicken ■■■■■

1 Like

This would be true if we hadn’t come incredibly close to actual immigration reform in 2013. The only side that held out during that debate was the stalwart, radical right-wing political opportunists like Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell. The senate actually passed a bill (despite McConnell and other radical Rs voting against). But the radicals who ran the House wouldn’t even bring it up to a vote to try to debate and compromise.

What was great about the 2013 bill is that it had triggers in place that would not allow a pathway to citizenship to move forward until after other benchmarks were met and other parts of the law were put into place. And the pathway to citizenship it did lay out was lengthy, costly, and was not a free handout.

It’s very disingenuous to say this has been ignored by both sides. In recent history, Democrats have made an earnest attempt to address the problem, both when Obama was president, and with Trump as president, offering multiple budgets that included money than Trump is usurping now with his declaration. But radical republicans, including the president himself, have turned it down because they need that talking point for the next election.

6 Likes

Republican congressional leaders have been relying on this for some time now. The 2013 immigration bill, the Garland nomination, among others. They know how bad it will look if they get on the record voting against something sensible.

Code word for open borders.

Thinking strategically, if I were Pelosi, I would watch for a court filing and an injunction in the next few weeks before pushing a joint resolution… If a court issues an injunction, I would let this play out in the courts until next year and then force a senate vote much closer to the election. Maximize the effect… Of course, if an injunction is not granted, she can move on the joint resolution any time.

Agree that this is exactly what McConnell was trying to avoid… Too late now…

1 Like

Nope.

It’s clear you haven’t read the 2013 bill, otherwise you’d know there’s nothing remotely open borders about it.

I behoove you to do so. It’s a really good bill that, with a bit more work, would be exactly what we need right now.

An emergency declaration by the congress is reviewed every 6 months.

It’s not one and done, Tex.

Allan

For those that need it in terms of discussion the 2020 elections.

Here is a summary of the 2013 Immigration Reform bill and how it made “open borders” (ya I didn’t buy it as “open borders” legislation either).

.^^^^

2 Likes

How many bills qould you liked linked to show that they havent ignored it?

If he didnt want it becoming a reality he wouldnt have thrown his support behind trump.

What in the hell?

Walk away plas…walk away…

A word from the Senate class of '14 (plus Pence) on the matter…

3 Likes

I think the emergency does nothing…we are too far out for it to really affect anything…healthcare still being the most pressing issue and if the economy takes a nose dive or goes down…trump will feel that more…and so will the gop…