Self-Defense or Manslaughter

A video was posted. It showed him jogging and a pick-up truck waiting for him. A man was in the back of the truck and another one was in the street and he approached Arbery. Now I know folks are going to say, “well…he shouldn’t had went for the gun”, nope…damn that. My instinct if in that situation, I’m trying to save my life when 2 random guys run up on me with guns, especially when I’m not armed. Of course, per usual they’re going to criminalize the decease and check his record as if that’s some sort of justification.
Gregory McMichael and Travis McMichael need to be in jail.

1 Like

Your video shows the man running down the street towards a truck with one man beside it the other in back, the video then cuts away and when it again focuses on the 2 men it shows the runner charging the guy with the shotgun, the subsequent struggle over the gun and the wounded man staggering and falling to the ground. The crucial “initial contact” portion of the video is non-existent.

Based on the video footage alone I see self defense. Add in the investigation & witness statements and that may change.

Of course you do

For a very long time.

Everyone here thinking this is “self defense” needs to ask themselves this question - you’re jogging along, minding your own business, and two guys with guns start screaming at you and waving guns at you.

Would you think you were being mugged, and try to defend yourself against, or would you just stand still and let them shoot you?

It’s a good question, you don’t have much of a choice especially when they already had their guns drawn. As a former track athlete I still run on the daily so 10 times out of 10 I’m not going to be armed, so like I said in my original post if 2 random dudes run up on with firearms in hand, I really have only 2 choices.

I really don’t try to dwell in feelings, but I really think they would have shot him no matter what he did.

randomly following someone with a gun and demanding they stop and surrender to you.

sounds like a mugging.

Homicide.

Two guys in Georgia with guns in a truck go chase after a black guy just out jogging and then confront him. Not a jury in the world would have convicted the jogger if he’d pulled a gun out on them and shot them. Being unarmed though his only two options were fight or flight and unless he had easy cover to get to within a second or two he wasn’t going to outrun bullets. So he stood his ground and attacked.

1 Like

There are things that could shift this the other way, but with the information currently available I agree.

Oh no liberals can’t have that, it doesn’t fit their racist agenda of dividing the country and inciting anger and violence and the corona virus is just cover because they know they wont get away with rioting with a new sheriff in town.

I read through the whole article and it looks like the McMichael’s were within Georgia law regarding citizen arrests and it doesn’t appear Mr. Arbery was as pristine as the article implies, he had a little bit of a rap sheet just saying… :woman_shrugging:t2:

Anyway close to the end of the article there appears to be claims of video that show the entire altercation, so if that’s true it can easily be adjudicated.

I’m seeing it differently. The son jumped out of the truck with a shotgun and started arguing with the guy, that is an act of aggression. Had Arbery been armed he would have been justified shooting the two dill holes in the truck.
You can’t cause a confrontation then claim self defense.

More could come out that changes that dynamic, but so far it’s sounding like the wannabes instigated and the jogger fought back. That’s self defense on the joggers side, and at least manslaughter on the two idiots side.

What is the source for this part of the narrative?

Even if true, unless he was pointing the gun at the dead victim it’s questionable at best if it was an unlawful act.

1 Like

There was no attempted robbery here.

There was a legitimate reason for trying to stop the guy and a reasonable suspicion he was a felon so confronting him unarmed would be a very bad idea.

Try again.

1 Like

If the story as reported is true no, they won’t even be charged because they acted lawfully.

The guy wasn’t shot until HE made a grab for the gun which always justifies the use of deadly force if you are legally present and acting in a lawful manner.

1 Like

Or just wait for the cops instead. I dont see a legitimate reason yet to follow someone jogging, let alone jump in the back of a truck with a shotgun.

Holding or making known you have a firearm while engaged in an argument is brandishing.

1 Like

The law doesn’t care about your opinion.

If they acted lawfully from the start this is a perfectly justifiable killing.

1 Like

Depends on the state. It’s not necessarily that way in Texas. There is an intent involved.

1 Like

No, it isn’t IF you are otherwise acting lawfully.

Brandishing in most states requires you to do something unlawful with the weapon such as pointing it at someone in a threatening manner without legal justification.

It’s almost entirely dependent on the circumstances.

1 Like

Watched the video several times. As far as I can see, the only person who made threatening moves was Travis up to the point the first shot went off. After that in my mind it doesn’t matter. Travis has started this.

For reference’s sake here is the video. It’s got the gunshots in it so if you don’t like that stuff, you’ve received fair warning.

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1257737290786443266?s=20

I’m not usually a screenshot guy because they can be deceiving…but I think it reveals a lot here…but I linked the video so anyone that wants to dispute me they can do so.

When Arbery first approaches the truck, he looks to go left around the driver’s side. Travis is there waiting for him.

Arbery then shifts to go right of the truck. The reason he appears to have done so is because Travis takes a small but visible step towards the truck so as to cut off his path. Arbery is turning to go AWAY from confrontation.

Videographer loses sight of everything as he is getting out of the car but when he picks up Arbery again, you will see Arbery is about to go around the front of the truck. You can’t see Travis, but it will become clear in the screenshot after this that Travis has moved TOWARD Arbery again.

Last screenshot. As you can see, Travis has moved toward Arbery again…he’s across the double yellow line. Arbery has just rounded the truck. Since you can’t see him, it’s obvious he’s not reached the arrow I’ve drawn. Travis takes one more step…then the first shot goes off. It is my contention there can be no struggle happening when this happens because there was no time for the distance to be closed between the two men.

Two times, TRAVIS made the aggressive confrontational move. At least one time, Arbery moved to AVOID confrontation.

If Georgia law gives you the right to be armed and make confrontational approaches and then claim self defense because of any ensuing “struggle”?

Georgia law is ■■■■■■ up.

6 Likes

He charges the guy with the gun grabbing it, looks like the DA made the right call here.

Both the man on the ground and guy in the truck appear to be acting in a completely lawful manner.

The smart thing to have done here would have been to stop without closing and ask them what was going on.

They certainly didn’t chase him down and kill him as was earlier claimed.

1 Like