Sears & Kmart are likely down to their last 24 hours

Sad for the people who are working there.

Thanks Donald Trump!

My mother bought me a pair of shoes from KMart when I was in fourth grade. They were supposed to be the popular shoes. I showed up at school, and the other kids soon noticed that my shoes differed from the cool shoes because a single stripe on my shoes was green instead of blue. “KMart shoes! KMart shoes!” they chanted. I burned the school down.

5 Likes

People do the same thing with 1000 phones.

I admit I’m not very savvy when it comes to electrical repair but in general I try to fix something before I replace it. I patched a few broken traces in my old DVD player when I was a teen. Got another five years out of it before I replaced it with a PlayStation 3.

Yeah, rolling into class sporting Kmart gear was always a kiss of death. The reference to those people in our school was “blue lighters”. Kids are ■■■■■■■ brutal, aren’t they?

1 Like

It’s become a DIY hobby for enthusiasts. You can find pretty much any electronic stereo etc. parts online along with discussion forums etc. I am currently (albeit slowly) rehabbing a four track reel to reel tape recorder.

About 5 or 6 months ago, I took in a TV for repair. It was a blown power supply. Fixed for about $50.00. TV wasn’t that old and I suspect a lighting induced power surge was responsible. Due to the relative young age of the set and trivial nature of the problem, fixing it was logical. In most cases, I would likely have replaced the TV.

Growing up in a small rural school district, never really had this issue. Most of the kids families were in the same general income bracket, with perhaps a handful at either extreme. Most of us were dressed in off brand clothing.

1 Like

It’s not dead in the world of music, either. Electric guitar players would seemingly prefer to exist in the '60s, as most prefer tube amplifiers (see my avatar) and analog effects. I’ve breadboarded overdrive circuits.

That’s cool that you’re fixing up a reel to reel. I’d love to have something like that.

Power supplies can still often be repaired or replaced. Beyond that, it usually isn’t worth it. With surface mount components, a repair usually entails replacing an entire board which usually ends up costing just a little less than a new television.

I think part of Sears and KMart’s demise is due to CEOs playing it safe in order to protect the shareholder. They frowned upon taking risks and being on the cutting edge. Meanwhile Amazon was doing market analysis 25 years ago and could see trends not only in specific markets and demographics, but in the world’s populous as a whole. Amazon and Starbucks have changed the game of marketing and customer service. Amazon doesn’t even have a storefront and Starbucks has found a way to buy coffee form South America for pennies per bag and sell it to the average joe consumer for $6 a cup. My father would roll over in his grave if he knew I was buying coffee at $6 per cup and water at $2 per bottle…What have I become??:tired_face::tired_face::sleepy::sleepy:

1 Like

For several years I just kept my eye out for one at garage sales and flea markets and such until recently there it was! Ha. Twenty dollars and it works, although not too well. It’ll probably be a hundred or a little more by the time I’m done, and a lot of fun.

Lampert could not produce a viable bid by the deadline today. He filed for an extension of the deadline, but I think there is a bout a ZERO % chance the bankruptcy court will grant an extension. No other bids.

I expect we will get a swift reply next week from the bankruptcy court rejecting the extension request and commencement of formal liquidation proceedings.

Sign of the times. Still mourning all those people who lost their jobs when the horse and buggy industry closed its doors too? And to think, all they needed to do was update their business model. Oh well.

Evidently, Lampert managed to squeek in a bid at the last minute. I don’t think it will change the final outcome.

Specifics please on what Trump did to kill Sears/Kmart.

Specifics.

You know things he personally did to kill the company before he became president to today.

Didn’t keep his campaign promise. This video is a lie.

Please give specifics on how Trump killed sears. Again specifics from before he became president through today. You have to have some since your thanking him.

I didn’t see any specifics in there on what killed Sears/Kmart

Try again.

I’m quite sure that was a sarcastic call back to the “Thanks Obama” routine from the right.

Too bad the employees of Sears aren’t politically important enough to get a Trump supported bailout from the government.

The few K-Marts I have been in during recent years have been laughably bad. “Electronics” sections that generally amount to a handful of overpriced televisions, some music CDs, and little else. Food aisles that generally didn’t even prices marked. They never evolved with the times and eventually you got the impression they stopped even pretending to care.