SCOTUS rejects NC legislatures gerrymandering

It (D)oesn’t matter what their pond scum does. :wink:

1 Like

Who appoints supreme count justices in Maryland?

Are they elected?

How can they allow that map to go unchallenged?

It’s the quality of the judges in Maryland that is the heart of the problem?

Legislatures are going to gerrymander when given a choice, that is a given. It is up to the state courts to do their job properly and disallow such blatant gerrymandering as they did in Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

Allan

If it is legal, what are Dems complaining about it?

1 Like

Did read the court brief filed by the dems?

I posted the link.

Allan

All legislatures will gerrymander given half a chance.

It’s up to the state courts to reel it in.

Allan

Just answer the question, if you can. I asked YOU a question, if you cannot answer with your own words, then that actually answers my question.

Just because something is legal, doesn’t mean it is a good thing.

Smoking tobacco cigarettes is legal, but you be heard pressed to find
Someone who says it’s a good thing.

Same with gerrymandering for political purposes, why should not we hold legislators feet to fire for an obvious bad thing they passed.

Allan

Nobody does that to democrats when they have a supermajority. Certainly not themselves. I guarantee you there won’t be a Republican in Maryland for the rest of the UNited States’ existence.

2 Likes

Not an answer, more like word salad nonsense.
Don’t bother trying to answer because anyone with half a brain knows if Dems do it, you support it, if Reps do the exact same thing you rail against it.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely not true, if I was a Republican. I would be fighting tooth and nail about Maryland’s gerrymander.

Lawmakers continue to gerrymander because they can,

That was proven this year in North Carolina.

The courts specifically asked for a better map and the Republican legislators just gave the court a map with more of the same (10-4 for republicans).

The same holds true for Maryland, Illinois, New York.

They will continue to gerrymander until state courts put a stop to it.

It’s up to the state courts to correct once they become aware of a problem.

Allan

And since democrats put all the judges in Maryland’s courts, nothing will change. Democrats can do anything there. There’s zero pressure on them to do anything. So they won’t.

2 Likes

Isn’t the Governor of Maryland a Republican?

Does he not appoint judges to the Supreme Court like jersey does?

Allan

He only gets to select from a list provided to him by a nominating committee. Guess who is on that committee?

1 Like

:joy:. I saw that…

Oh that sucks. When Christie was Governor he appointed lots of good judges who were fair. I didn’t like him as Governor but he did a good job of appointing judges.

Allan

You literally just proved my point. You only support it for the party you belong too.

2 Likes

because the ruling is about the nc state supreme court ruling on the nc constitution, not federal. th nc state sc is wrong, but scotus decision simply reccognizes that the nc state sc is the court that does rule on it so long as its provisions don’t violate the federal constitution.

the “courts” didn’t ask for ■■■■■ both the trial court and appeals ruled in favor of republicans, the elected (majority democrat) state sc over ruled them. it’ll be fixed once republicans take the court back of the legislature strips the court of its ability to review it.

1 Like