SCOTUS Appointment 2022

Yet you voted no?

1 Like

Yes. Prove me wrong.

How does it make the remainder less racist?

I donā€™t think anyone actually believes that anymore, if they ever did.

Fair enough. It seems to me allowing such a political entity is be the sole final arbiters is a mistake and there are no longer checks and balances.

1 Like

There were multiple questions in the poll, and I donā€™t think itā€™s misogyny to only consider women.

Agreed, but a truly apolitical group of people isnā€™t possible, in my opinion.

No? Does it not indicate a lack of respect, implying they are unable to compete fairly?

Perhaps patronizing is a better word?

Or perhaps misandry?

Yeah, I agree with patronizing.

of course it is

1 Like

Misandry?

The little ladies need special help?

A true misogynist would never consider a woman. Patronizing is a better description.

Yeah, something like that.

i didnt expect you to have much more to add

good yob

I think this characterization is really weak.

These women are qualified. They have worked their entire life for the opportunity to be at the height of their profession.

They were selected based on merits. If Biden wants to apply a filter on candidate to find candidates that typically wouldnā€™t be considered because they arenā€™t men or whiteā€¦ then so be it.

White men will be fine. Yā€™all have been selected 98% of the time. Iā€™d bet a few have been selected who were unqualified for the role.

3 Likes

I disagree. A true misogynist would never consider a female as capable of earning it.

I feel like weā€™re saying the same thing here.

I think this gets to the larger point that modern conservatives believe that life today exists in a vacuum with no history- a blank slate if you will.

For the entirety of American history, white men were always (until recently) picked to be supreme court justices. Reagan was the first to promote a woman (Oā€™Connor) to the High Court as a way to make the Court more representative of American demographics. Bush Sr. continued with his pick of Thomas. Clinton picked RBG. Obama continued that tradition with Sotomayor and Kagan. Trump picked Barrett. Now we have Biden continuing the tradition of broadening the Courtā€™s makeup to be in line with American demographics by choosing a black woman.

I appreciate the wisdom of Reagan and Bush starting this tradition. I donā€™t believe they were racist or sexist in their choices, nor do I believe Biden is.

3 Likes

Nominating a black woman is simply righting a wrong in that they were willfully excluded for most of our history. It is not racist.

3 Likes