School Prayer ? No

What does the New Testament say about prayer in public places such as schools and restaurants? It’s pretty clear.

Jesus said:

Matthew 6:5-6
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

1 Like

Agree 100%. The most hypocritical of any faith tend to wear it on their sleeves the most.

Prayer is best left a private matter.

1 Like

I have no issue with prayer in school, i have issue with teacher leading their classes in prayer

If a bunch of students want to pray privately that is their right

1 Like

Jesus had an issue with public prayer.

As a middle school teacher, I can guarantee that students pray silently every time they sit down to take a test. :wink:

2 Likes

Did Jesus say to pray at our desks or did He say to pray at home?

Prayer is not a solely Christian practice.

I’m talking strictly about Christian prayer.

Understood and I agree with you.

I’m opposed to a formal organization-driven prayer in public schools. (Either driven (and required) by the state, or the school board, or the school, or the teacher, etc.) At best, such a prayer becomes little more than a “to whom it is concerned” recitation because it can’t directly address any particular entity without violating someone’s freedom of religion.

In short, it makes a farce of prayer.

What I am concerned about are attempts to scrub any hint of religiosity from all things public. Especially in the schools. To me, the attempts to connect a candycane to “government endorsement” of religion (for example) are sinister.

1 Like

why?
Do the other religions not count?

I suppose they count. I have no knowledge of prayer other than Christian prayer.

From a different angle, grabbing a snippet of scripture and declaring that Jesus dictates there should be no prayer in school is a misapplication of scripture, IMO.

1 Like

Snippet?
I think this is pretty plain and clear in meaning.

Matthew 6:5-6
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Each individual can interpret it as they want. I have interpreted it for myself.

Right. And I labeled my post as my opinion too.

Fair enough.

[quote=“BigDrew, post:5, topic:226889”]

It was a joke. Note my use of the word “silently”. FWIW, I was taught as a child that one can pray silently at any time and in any place.

I should have recognized it as a joke and left it alone.
No problems- you’re good.

1 Like

So no prayer in church either?

I’m sure kids pray all the time before any exam.

1 Like