Sayoc sentenced to 20 years in club fed for mailing bombs

Rehabilitation is not the only factor, of course. Hell, many small time thieves are incorrigible, but you can’t sentence someone to life for theft. So they go in and out of prison.

His mens rae and the fact that the bombs were unlikely to detonate had to be considered as mitigating factors. The fact that they had the slim potential to detonate and therefore the level of danger to the victims had to be balanced as aggravating factors.

All in all, I think 20 years was just. 10 years would have been too short, but life would have been excessive.

1 Like

Isn’t “he was trying to kill people” a factor? Because he wasn’t successful doesn’t mean he wasn’t willing. It just means that the means he chose on this occasion were not effective.

Personally, I have a hard time with that. He intended to kill a bunch of people. It was a deliberate act of malice that intended to end the lives of many. To me, that should factor in far more than whether he was effective.

But I am glad, however, he’ll spend the next 20 years away from the ability to take innocent life.

Attempted murder carries a lesser penalty than actual murder.

I would not put this person up there with the unibomber who actually killed people.

20 years is fine and he”ll be out of society until he is an old man.

Allan

Doing Time for Donny. There are lots of them

I would. He attempted to kill MANY people and only failed because of his own stupidity. That doesn’t mean he’ll fail again if he’s angry in 20 years.

As indicated by the Judge in the case and acknowledged by prosecutors, the bombs, while dangerous, were NOT designed to go off if opened and there was little chance of detonation, by design. The motive was to sow fear, not to kill and as such the sentence was appropriate.

So…terrorism.

1 Like

I’m not asserting it wasn’t appropriate according to the law.

But morally, I don’t personally find it appropriate.

Would he have received the same sentence of one of his devices had gone off? As Jim Carey famously said “so you’re saying there’s a chance.”

Again, he was sentenced appropriately. Terrorism is merely crimes perpetrated for specific purposes.

Nobody got killed.

Had anybody gotten killed, he would be serving life in prison and rightfully so.

But nobody got killed.

I am a long time civil libertarian.

As such, I believe that the mitigating factors as well as the aggravating factors should be applied at sentencing and mercy should be considered when appropriate.

I oppose gimmicks like 3 strikes and mandatory minimums and I oppose over sentencing.

Barack Obama did good when he commuted the drug crime sentences that were overly long.

On principle, I will never agree to anything I consider to be overly harsh sentencing, regardless of the type of crime.

Party free and I obviously disagree on the “morality” of the sentence, but clearly from a legal standpoint it was the correct sentence.

I too am a civil Libertarian, fair sentences for crimes actually committed not “what could have happen”.

We don’t need thought police.

Sayoc did something really bad and was sentenced to 20 years when he gets out, I don’t think he will be sending bombs in the mail or to anyone for that matter. Prisons sentences should not be for rehibilation. He obviously has mental health issues. Hopefully he gets diagnosed correctly and given the proper meds.

Allan