San Francisco. Poop city

Been to la, San Fran , Anaheim, and other places. Didn’t see any poop. But I didn’t have a map.

1 Like

My favorite part of visiting California was the 10 hour drive (with many stops) on HWY 1 or whatever the locals call it. I started at sundown just north of LA where it meets the 101, and took my time until sunrise just south of SF. It was a crystal clear night, with a healthy supply of Blue Cookies vape pens. Good times.

And that my friend is why I am happy with my small house and 1/4 acre back yard. I am minutes away from everything. I love living in a city especially with the infrastructure it provides but I understand why other people love rural life.

I have always fancied a cabin in the middle of nowhere that I could escape to every now and again, plus it will come in handy when the apocalypse starts.

1 Like

It could just be more of a greener grass over there kinda thing. When I lived in places like Broward County, all I wanted was some peace and quiet. When I first moved out to the country, all I wanted was some company. lol :man_shrugging:

Ha very true.

Who needs physical company when you have online gaming.

1 Like

I like KC… but my experience with Missouri is going to Knob Noster at Whiteman AFB. OMG… I feel for the kids who get stationed there!

1 Like

lol … one thing I love about Missouri is the names we have for towns. Knob Noster, Tightwad, Licking…

ETA: 25 strange town names in Missouri.

That’s pretty much the going rate in this part of town. If you want to live right on the bay or the gulf, obviously you’re going to pay more.

1 Like

I have a feeling the internet has made rural living much more tolerable. So many times I wish my Grandma could have had what we have today.

She was a good farm wife but I always had a sense of loneliness and feeling “cut off” from her.

My grandpa, on the other hand, was happy as a clam out there with no one else around.

It helps to experience rural living. There are pros and cons to both.

Oh I’ve done both. I’m somewhere in the middle now, best of both worlds.

1 Like

Before the internet, people weren’t any more or less lonely out here (two towns over where I went to school in a town of 1,100 people) than after dialup came around in the mid-90’s. Up until around 2004, it still looked more like an 80’s movie where kids played outside and rode their bikes to the recycling center to trade old cans for cold soda.

Now it’s just like everywhere else for everyone:

Old people phones…

40 million tourists visit Seattle each year. It is the fastest growing city in the US this decade.

Unemployment is currently 3.1%. Median income in Seattle is $82,133. The Puget Sound Region is home to Microsoft, Amazon, Costco, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Eddie Bauer, Expedia, Filson, REI, Paccar, T-Mobile…

Crime rates (both violent and property crimes) in Seattle have plummeted over the past few decades and are now about a third of what they were in the 1980s and 1990s.

Seattle is not dying. The KOMO “news” report looked like an infomercial for criminalizing poverty and sending the poor to (private?) prisons.

We do have homeless people here. It’s not surprising that homeless folks would end up in cities with moderate climate, lots of jobs, wealthy population, pretty good social services. In fact, other cities in WA state transport their homeless to Seattle, and that too contributes to the homeless population here.

My mother in law has a ranch out in East Colorado, love the state…we tend to visit at least twice a year…its a refreshing change of pace for sure.

She lives too far away from anything for my tastes long term but as a break from the suburbs its nice.

You left out one of the highest crime rates in the nation

The homeless problem is a hard nut to crack, I watched the documentary also and it proposes a solution to the homeless issue by essentially revamping the jail system so it can rehab those with drug addiction and mental health issues.

Problem is that sounds nice, but no one is willing to pay for it.

When you have prosperous cities they tend to attract alot of people, which includes many homeless and addicts…

You have to admit Coach, the presence of Microsoft, Amazon, Google, et al, in Seattle has greatly increased the cost of living and the disparity of wealth between those with mid six-figure incomes and the aversion working poor. It’s almost impossible for a service industry employee to afford to live in the close in urban area anymore without two or three incomes in the household.

Those companies are the embodiment of a meritocracy, you dont strike me as one that would oppose this.

The medical community now believes cholera to be exclusively a human disease, spread through many means of travel during at the time, and spread through warm fecal-contaminated river waters