San Francisco. Poop city

I visited Cali twice in 2018. When politics aren’t mentioned, the people there are pretty awesome.

I moved back to the East Coast a couple of years ago, and I don’t see myself going west anytime soon.

But I lived in San Francisco for 3 years, then Oakland for another 3 or 4 - and there are a bunch of things I miss.

I miss the weather. In the neighborhood I lived, the temperature never went higher than 65, or lower than 55. We got a lot of fog, some sunny days, and 20 or so days of rain each year. I loved it.

I miss the view. San Francisco is the most beautiful city in America, from the top of a mountain - and it just happens to have mountains to stand on top of. The view of the city from Portola just past Clipper is one of the most beautiful vistas I’ve ever seen. So is the view from the just past the giant cross on the top of Mt. Davidson, or the view from the batteries over the Golden Gate Bridge. Or even from Mt. Tam and Mt. Diablo.

And I miss the weed.

Shoot the poop with the neighbors?

No, for all of California. That’s what we were talking about, not just SD.

Already answered, why are you still asking?

Great, just proves this whole thread was prompted by some “story” doing the rounds around conservative email chains or social media. Or are we expected to believe this was purely by coincidence?

2 Likes

Oh no. It’s spreading. No place is safe. Run for the hills. :roll_eyes:

A not so great philosopher once said…
Poopy-di scoop
Scoop-diddy-whoop
Whoop-di-scoop-di-poop
Poop-di-scoopty
Scoopty-whoop
Whoopity-scoop, whoop-poop
Poop-diddy, whoop-scoop
Poop, poop
Scoop-diddy-whoop
Whoop-diddy-scoop
Whoop-diddy-scoop, poop

• Kanye
    circa 2018

:grin:

3 Likes

This has been a great poop thread. I especially like the emoji. Question though, who here has been to California on vacation? No work, just to have fun? I’ll bet it would be a different experience.

I’ve lived here for almost 30 years. No place I’d rather be. Even with the stupid decisions that citizens make in the ballot box (increase car registration, gas tax, banning straws etc.)

1 Like

One thing I will say is, every time I’d mention to someone I was thinking about moving out there, the response was always, “WHY!!??? Everyone else is trying to leave!” This was true in Woodland, Stockton, Victorville, and Hollywood. SF did smell a bit on the ripe side, but I was still able to admire the view from the Golden Gate, and there weren’t a mass of jumpers either. Not one.

Must’ve been my outside perspective (and of course, Cali’s insane legislature), but the people and places were just as good as anywhere else. Hell, even the homeless that I interacted with (almost impossible not to), were polite as anyone else could be.

Some People have this warped view of California. California is a HUGE state. There are multiple cultures, environments, politically friendly areas (Orange county and Central Valley typically Red).

San Francisco is beautiful but Downtown is a typical Downtown. There are homeless (lots and lots) but like you said they are generally nice and just fit into the culture.

If you can afford to live here, there is no better place to live in the US (maybe Hawaii). If you can’t afford to live here or need to retire somewhere cheaply… then California may not be the place. But even if you don’t live here… it’s an excellent place to vacation.

1 Like

Ultimately, that’s why I decided to stay here in Missouri. I live a mid-middle class life here with my salary, and I see no reason to downgrade that for a view of the beach.

My brother-in-law lives in San Diego. He’s been a Border Patrol Agent there for over 20 years. Love it there, though as others have mentioned, it’s expensive. Of course I’ve lived in Northern Virginia, so the sticker shock wasn’t that bad for me. While I do like San Diego, I live near the beach and pay a whole hell of a lot less.

1 Like

I was stationed at Ft Riley and had a friend at Leonard Wood. Put me off ever wanting to live in the midwest.

We were first stationed out here when I was 12 (also when I was 25) and it was still legitimately called, Fort Lost in the Woods. Anyone who still says things like that have never stationed at Ft. Polk. lol

I know what you mean about the Midwest. I was raised on military bases and towns with over 100,000 people. This place will kill a man with boredom if he doesn’t go play outside, and even that can get miserable depending on the time of year.

If my money didn’t stretch 3 times as far as most other states, I wouldn’t be here.

Here at the Texas Coastal Bend, I get a city of about 300,000 so there’s things to do without a huge city with all the congestion and traffic, year around golf and beaches; all at about half of what I was paying for things in Northern Va. I bought a 2000+ sq ft house in a nice neighborhood, 5 minutes from the beach, for under $200K.

2 Likes

Not trying to sound like a snob, but is that considered a good deal in your area? Out here, property gains value by size more than location. Unless we’re talking at Lake of the Ozarks or Truman Lake, people usually buy 3 br houses for under 70k if it’s on less than 1 acre.

I have a ton of land compared to most people, but the trade-off is being 7 miles to the nearest gas station, and 11 miles to the nearest stop light.

I always love hearing other people talk about my great state, the envy is palpable and I guess they need stories like this to make themselves feel better about living in Podunk USA.

IOW : Reagan’s California

Left wing hippies had already been running amuck in popular culture but they’d yet to give up their tye dyes for leisure suits in great numbers so the damage they were doing had thus far been limited.