San Fran Chronicle: Open carry was legal until armed Black Panthers protested

I’m not inclined to speculate without reading up on it again.

We had major federal gun control legislation passed in 38 and again I think in 68 and I’m’ not sure about California statutes in that era, it’s just not something I’ve ever spent much time on.

In general gun control laws have been written primarily to limit access to them by the poor and to keep the wealthy surrounded by armed security both here and abroad.

Gee, what a great question.

Neener Neener. I’ve got the correct answer.

Ahem
The article continues

But the Black Panther Party, founded the year before in Oakland, was engaged in perfectly legal, if unorthodox, lobbying. Its leaders, including Seale and Huey Newton, openly carried loaded guns to protect black people from racist police. In response, Oakland’s Republican Assemblyman Don Mulford had proposed a measure abolishing open carry in California. He called it the “Panther Bill.”

As it turned out, the Panthers’ opposition was a dismal failure. The “Panther Bill” — gun control that it was — had the support of the National Rifle Association of the day. The 120-member Legislature (with six blacks, three women, and all the rest white men) overwhelmingly passed the measure. Reagan signed it into law saying, “There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.”

Today, the NRA advocates guns in all kinds of public places. But open carry is still illegal in California. Now as then, the real issue is not the guns being carried but, rather, who does the carrying. . . . .

1 Like

Gaius here’s a rough history/timeline of gun control in the US. Maybe it will help.

IOW The point of the article is to paint the NRA and all 2nd Am. Advocates as racist.

Picking up speed. Thank goodness Trump and Pence will put a stop to it next week.

Think La Pierre has a black friend?

1 Like

You might find this helpful as well.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php?title=Time_Line_of_California_Firearms_Laws#Concealed_weapons_illegal_without_permit.2C_1924_and_later

Best I can tell the only california law they could have been protesting at times is the 1924 act pertaining to concealed firearms being limited to those issued permits, and the prior 1917 statute on “dangerous weapons” neither of which can be seen as being aimed at blacks.

Thank you.

I’m gonna guess the already passed gun control all offended the Black Panthers, but especially

Loaded guns in public banned - Mulford Act, 1967
A frightened California legislature passed the Mulford Act

The Mulford act was actually passed as a reaction to their armed storming of the capitol in protest to existing law.

:wink:

Ten characters

The Panthers didn’t advocate anything but self defense from abusive police. Fast forward a few decades, they weren’t wrong.

They also started a food program for children that was the predecessor to WIC, held political education classes (the real danger), etc but let some tell it, they were just a bunch of violent thugs wanting to take over the government :roll_eyes:

If we’re gonna talk about an ACTUAL separatist group that wanted to overthrow the government, then we should talk about the Bundy Standoff…

oh wait…

They’re “patriots” :roll_eyes:

Aztlan??

La Raza??

Anyway, the bloods the crips La Cosa Nostra and probably the KKK gave out free food too.

I guess anyone who gives out food is 100% and only a peaceful welfare righrs group. (roll eyes)

Still interesting to note that gun control is/was used to make sure racist white cops were the only armed people in town.

Given that argument, who coukd support gun control?

Right on! Chuck always putting gun owners down.

They didn’t want to overthrow the government either.

Pablo Escobar built hospitals.

Are we making a list?

I’m sorry, what’s the point of this thread again???

Gun control is racist.

1 Like